• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Explorer: 4x4 question.

JTH1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I was out test driving a 98 explorer today and although the vehicle looked good and ran well, I got some issues with the auto 4x4 in this model.

When we backed up and turned while taking a test drive, it seemed to lurch like it was going in and out of 4WD while on "auto". Owner claims it's because the wheels slip in a turn like that and the vehicle is trying to compensate with the 4WD. Driving was ok. Going uphill in a turn seemed to do something similar at high speed and I noticed the light for 4 High and 4 low flashing alternately while in the turn.

Now the odd stuff... While testing the 4x4 shifting (on a hill, paved road), the owner had me put the vehicle in park, turn the switch to 4 low, put the vehicle in reverse "to engage the pin" according to him, rolled the vehicle back and it engaged with a CLUNK that you could feel throughout the vehicle. To him this was normal. No light came on the dash to indicate we were in 4 Low besides for the slow speed. Trying to get it to switch from 4 low on to reg 4WD was a chore, and again no dash light. I had to get the owner to do it as I couldn't, and I shouldn't have to go through all that to engage and disengage 4WD!

Now, my thinking is that if i have to put a vehicle in reverse to engage the 4WD, that kinda defeats the whole purpose of me needing 4WD! If I'm stuck and I need to engage the 4wd, kinda hard to do if I can't go anywhere!

Anyway, my thinking is that there's something messed in the 4WD. Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar, and what was the price tag to fix it?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Did it jerk or was there any ABS activation at slow speeds (< 10 MPH) when stopping? A broken tone ring or a bad reading from the rear sensor could cause that.

Putting the vehicle in Park for a shift into 4 low is normal. Many newer vehicles also want to see the parking brake applied and or your foot on the brake pedal. The clunk when it finally engaged could be a worn shift cam, junk yard transfer case could probably fix that.

As for the tell-tales, those sensors aren't particularly robust, it's probably broken.

The need to go into reverse to get it to lock into 4 low will probably not keep you from getting it to engage into 4 low if you are stuck. On those live-axle and PVH trucks you will sometimes get drive-line wind up that prevents it from engaging into 4 low properly and you need to spin the rear wheels backwards to take the pressure off. Think of it like double-clutching a manual.

It might also lend credence to the theory or a worn t-case. $100 at the you-pull should fix it.

JTH1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't notice anything about the ABS light going off. It had to go into park for any of the shifting, not just the low but I get what you mean. It seemed exceptionally difficult to get into the other ranges no matter the direction. Seller figures it's a dirty solenoid?

As for the tell-tales, those sensors aren't particularly robust, it's probably broken.
Which sensor's exactly?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dirty shift motor maybe, there isn't a solenoid on them.

The sensor I'm talking about is just a little 2-wire plug in the case, (in the front I think) with a little ball and socket switch it in, similar to the one for the backup lights, that makes different contacts when the case is in different ranges.

Mine works when it wants on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals