• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mountaineer Mystery

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Life is too short for cheap beer.
Need your help guys!!! Been trying to do some research on a future project to build a driver/trail truck like my B2 was before I sold it thanks to deploying. I've been looking at the later model Explorers and Mountaineers with the V8s. I've found several that are very affordable with all the options (power everything) which I've never had that luxury. The issue is that I won't buy an IFS truck and I can't verify the exact year of the TTB under the Explorer/ Mountaineer with the V8 engine. Swapping out the AWD for a full manual transfer case/ manual hubs is the plan but I can't figure out the deal with a lift kit for those trucks. You read everywhere that the Mountaineer is just a re-badged Explorer but is that really true? Is the '97 Mountaineer with the 5 liter, TTB 35 and easily swappable AWD the perfect project for me? My idea is to start out with the V8 Explorer/ Mountaineer that has a TTB 35; swap in a BW13xx series case, manual hubs, locked diff, 4'+ lift, 35s and throw in the power goodies on the engine. Maybe even just swap in the D44 solid front? Thoughts???:icon_cheers:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
None of the Explorer's / Mountianeers with the 5.0 had a TTB front end. They are all torsion bar IFS.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
^^^Like he said.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Explorers switched to the SLA front suspension in 1995, whereas the Ranger swtiched in 1998. The first year Ford/Mercury made the Mountaineer was in 1996. And yes, it is simply a rebadged Explorer. 1996 was also the first year the 5.0 V8 was available in Explorers/Mountaineers.

So, as the others have already said, TTB Mountaineers don't exist, and (factory-equipped) 5.0 Explorers with TTB don't exist.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You could SAS it. That'd be one BAMF truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals