• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front End Noise

RevAlfius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I inherited this issues from the previous owner a year ago. When I take off quickly front a stop or get on it going up hill my B2 makes a ?grinding noise?. Almost sounds as if something is slipping but I don't loose power. I'm pretty sure its the front end but I'm not sure what and since it only makes the noise under load it's hard to really tell what it is.

My B2 has 160,xxx miles on it so everything looks a little rough. Does anyone have a guess or at least something I can try to rule out parts? Any help would be much appreciated. It's a 1990 model B2 4x4 2.9L engine, everything is stock.

broughton88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you check rotors and make sure calpier isnt sticking.. also u-joints can make some weird noises check those sucks wen you snap those. also check hubs does 4wheel work good?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
check your pinion bearing.

RevAlfius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4 Wheel works great, replaced calipers when I bought it a year ago, u-joints where replaced by previous owner 6 months before I bought it. Haven't check the pinion bearing. Easy there an easy way to check it without tearing the whole thing down and taking a look?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Are you sure the noise is coming from up front?

It's very common for the stock rear dual-CV driveshaft to start making noises at around that mileage (makes a crunchy clackety-clack sound only on hard acceleration, and often in reverse as well).

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On a different idea here, maybe you have a broken motor mount and the cooling fan is rubbing on the shroud.

RevAlfius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure the noise is coming from up front?

It's very common for the stock rear dual-CV driveshaft to start making noises at around that mileage (makes a crunchy clackety-clack sound only on hard acceleration, and often in reverse as well).
Could I replace the drive shaft myself or would a shop be better equipped. Underneath it looks like 8 bolts, but the CV's appear to be compressed? Or am I mistaken. I just want to make sure that if I get it apart I can get the new one on.

I've never messed with Cv joints before. I have read that the universal joint conversion can cause issues if it a daily drive application. Can anyone confirm or deny if that's the case?

It's not the motor mounts the noise is definatly coming from under the truck.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The driveshaft just bolts on, so there should be no issue if you find that's not it after you've removed it. Most you may want to do is mark the flanges so you can put it back on the way it was, although on the CV shaft, this is not essential.

As for a u-joint shaft, they are perfectly fine for a DD (freeway use). What you want is called a "Double-Cardan" driveshaft. This type of shaft has 3 u-joints: one at the axle end, two at the transmission. The two joints at the transmission end will cancel out any vibration as long as the angle at the single-joint end (axle) is 2° or less with the truck unloaded and parked on level ground. Small angled shims can be installed between the axle and the leaf springs to adjust this angle if needed.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does it only do it in 4x4? If so check the front axle shafts where they go into the back of the spindle for freeplay up and down or side to side. I had a very simular problem with an 85 F-150 4x4(also a TTB) and found that the axle shaft bearings and seals were toast and it caused a really bad rubbing/grinding sound upon acceleration but only in 4x4 since the front axle is stationary in 4x2. Hope this helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals