• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Explorer parts in a 88 bronco II

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I opened a big can of worms and looking for a little information. I have a 88 bronco II and after doing a little looking around on here I decided it would be cool to put in a newer dash. I got a dash from a 93 explorer and proceeded to do the swap. After buying two books and pulling half my hair out over the wiring, I thought I was good. Well my gas gauge did not work, my overdrive did not work, so over the winter the bronco sat. Well I thought about it and decided to get a wiring harness from a 94 explorer to swap in the bronco. After spending 7hrs at pull a part I had my treasure, there are a few items that I am unsure of…one is the anti lock brakes. It would be cool to have it on all four wheels, I know a rear end swap would not be that hard to do but what about the front end? And while I am swapping the front end I might as well make it 4wd. The harness came out of a 4wd so it would be just plug_and_play as far as the wiring goes. I did some searching on here and could not find much on it, of course my searching skills might not be that great. Any information or a point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. On e other question, going from a 4 door to only using 2 door for the power windows and locks do I need to do anything special…like need to have the switches plugged in to the 2 rear door plugs for the windows to work?
Thank You,
Louis

willys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i'm not an expert on this but from what i gathered/heard if you swap out the diffs from the explore into the bronco II i think you can gain like a 2" ish lift.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a gen 2 dash in my 86 put it in with my 4.0.I never got my gas gauge to work got a new sending unit tried 2 different gauges and ran a wire directly from the gauge to the sending unit says about 3/8 when full ten gallons almost empty.Write it up if you can get yours to work.

I like the dash way better most stuff plugged in for me.Imho I wouldn't try to put antilock brakes in until you got it all working.I would also try to tie power to the windows rather than put explorer wiring all through the B2.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i'm not an expert on this but from what i gathered/heard if you swap out the diffs from the explore into the bronco II i think you can gain like a 2" ish lift.
You won't get any lift just from swapping a diff. You will also need to get the spring perches and shock mounts moved around for the rear axle to fit your B2. If you use the Explorer springs you can get some lift out back.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
You won't get any lift just from swapping a diff. You will also need to get the spring perches and shock mounts moved around for the rear axle to fit your B2. If you use the Explorer springs you can get some lift out back.
Thanks to all for the information.

Any info on the front axle swap?

Louis

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
bolts out, bolts in.

D-35 more or less bolts in place of the D-28 than your B2 would have. There might be a bit more work involved if you are making a 4x2 into a 4x4, but it shouldn't be too hateful. It's easier to do on a B2 than on a ranger.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
bolts out, bolts in.

D-35 more or less bolts in place of the D-28 than your B2 would have. There might be a bit more work involved if you are making a 4x2 into a 4x4, but it shouldn't be too hateful. It's easier to do on a B2 than on a ranger.
Yea right now it is 4X2, OK I will have to see if my parts explorer still has its axle under it.
Thanks,
Louis

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have a gen 2 dash in my 86 put it in with my 4.0.I never got my gas gauge to work got a new sending unit tried 2 different gauges and ran a wire directly from the gauge to the sending unit says about 3/8 when full ten gallons almost empty.Write it up if you can get yours to work.

I like the dash way better most stuff plugged in for me.Imho I wouldn't try to put antilock brakes in until you got it all working.I would also try to tie power to the windows rather than put explorer wiring all through the B2.
The sending unit in my 88 bronco II 10 ohm high and 73 ohm low, the 94 explorer is 145 ohm full and 22.5 ohm empty. I am planning pn pulling a sending unit from pull a part and see if I can't modify them to get a working gauge.

Louis

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
FYI the explorer only has rear ABS, and it's a POS system.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
FYI the explorer only has rear ABS, and it's a POS system.
The 94 I took the harness from had abs on the front...."A proper 4-wheel ABS system with four-wheel disc brakes had to wait until 1993".

Louis

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The sending unit in my 88 bronco II 10 ohm high and 73 ohm low, the 94 explorer is 145 ohm full and 22.5 ohm empty. I am planning pn pulling a sending unit from pull a part and see if I can't modify them to get a working gauge.

Louis
It is possible to mount the explorer pump to the 2.9 sending unit.

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 94 I took the harness from had abs on the front...."A proper 4-wheel ABS system with four-wheel disc brakes had to wait until 1993".

Louis
I stand corrected. I could have sworn they didn't go to 4 wheel till 95. O'well, must have partied too hard back in college :beer:

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
It is possible to mount the explorer pump to the 2.9 sending unit.
I have not looked close at the explorer fuel system yet but is it set up like the bronco? a low pressure and high pressure pumps or does it only have one pump in the tank?

Thanks,
Louis

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
no, explorer only has 1 pump, in the tank.

You can take the actual pump unit off the sender and mount it to an older sender. I'm not 100% sure of the procedure, but I know it has been done.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
no, explorer only has 1 pump, in the tank.

You can take the actual pump unit off the sender and mount it to an older sender. I'm not 100% sure of the procedure, but I know it has been done.
Thanks, I will get one tomorrow and play with it.

Louis

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals