• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wet interior.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I have two Rangers, a 1983 and 1985. When it rains both of them get the floor wet on the drivers side. I am about 99% sure it is not the winshield leaking since I had the windshield changed in the 1983 and there was no indication of a leak there. I presume it is some where else and that it is chronic leak source.

Any Ideas?

Eric<><

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Maybe its something around your door, like bad molding or something...I have a leak in my ranger behind the driver seat just in the corner..and its not the 3rd brake light....

dbxtr3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM.

I joined TRS today to find answer to my problem. I have a 1993 ex-cad 2wd 3.0 Ranger for a company vehicle. I was cleaning out the truck the other day and notice that under the driver floormat the carpet was soaked. I KNOW it is not a leaking windshield becasue I had it change the day I noticed the wet floor 2 weeks ago and it is still wet. (I put a space heater on a bucket with the door open blowing on the wet carpet and dried it out. Then it rained the other day and it is wet again with the new windshield.)

It can not be the door leaking because it is not wet near the door just under the pedals like it is running down the firewall onto the floorboard.

Last edited:

1987 DANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dont feel bad I have the same problem, but its both drivers side and passenger side. I thank it could be where the wire harness cames through. There is a rubber plug on both the drive/pass on the front inner fenders. Its been to cold and rainy/snowy around here to try and figure it out. If I come up with something I will let you know.

novascotiabinder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
2008 ranger 4x4 sport driver floor leak

I have the same problem.My 2008 ranger has a leak by the kick panel on the drivers side and the dealer cant find it with a hose.I find if I drive the truck at highway speeds the leak is there its pretty small but more of an annoyance than anything.any Ideas?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On an 83-85 (other than one that spent it's whole life in NewMexico

The likeliest source is a rust through somewhere in the cowl.

You probably don't want to hear that, and it's apparrent that nobody else wants to tell you, but there it is.

AD

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same problem all you are having with my 91 reg cab, i got bored one day and stripped the whole interior out and most of the dash and found some rust up under the dash not from the windshield but more the cowl and it wasn't cool, ended up scrapping the carpet cause it went to long without being noticed and I ended up spraying in the good 3m bedliner spray and tryed cleaning up the rust and re-sealing the hole. worked for the most part

preflight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Look between the windshield and the hood where your wiper motor is dump lots of water in that area to find where its leaking. if that is where the leak is .. i used pop cans cut top and bottom off split the can open then place over the rusted area and a can of bull tar messy stuff

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its the calking in your rain gutter or your fire wall were the seem is,look in the vents by your whipers its probly full of crap take your fenders off and clean it out with the hose,or next time it rains fill around on the roof of your cab from in side, like in the corner by the top left side of windsheild,

garyl

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4 banger
Transmission
Automatic
might check the rear window, i have the same problem and i have feltthe carpet on the back wall and it was wet

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8 swap
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem with both the 86 and 87 Rangers I recently bought for my 5.0 swap. After ripping out the bench seats, rubber mats, jute pad and as much of the soaked foam and firewall covering as I could I am 99% sure the leaks are caused by the Large diameter rubber "grommet" on the main wiring harness where it passes through the firewall.

Both trucks have ill fitting grommets that can be moved around pretty easily revealing the edge of the hole through the firewall. When it rains I can see the drips, more like a small stream of water coming in at the harness.

I also took off my wiper access cover plates to clean all the dead soggy leaves from the cowl area and make sure water would drain. I ran the hose full blast into the cowl through the upper slots and watched the flood of water run out at the drivers side fender. There was no leakage into the cab so I'm sure its the grommet.

A car builder I know suggested cleaning/drying all surrounding surfaces and re-sealing the grommet into the firewall with urethane windsheild adhesive. I haven't done it yet 'cause I dont have a garage and it rarely stops raining here. He told me NOT to use silicone sealer.

The 87 also has a slight leak on the passenger side which appears to be from the computer harness grommet. I think the rubber dries out and shrinks just enough with age to allow these things to leak... badly. The padding under the rubber mats on both trucks, (drivers side), were flooded with water and when I pressed my hand against the firewall covering it was like a big wet sponge... YAY... :(

Gotta love workin' on OLD stuff...
Mike

Last edited:

skyjacker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
same problem here guys , its not the winshield its the pinchpoint behind and beside the windshield , water gets in there and rust forms , even if you replace the windshield it will start leaking again because the sealer wont bond to the rusted areas properley , only way of fixing it is to replace the rusted parts which is pritty pricy unless your a body man , anyway hope this helps ya'll out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals