• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wtf now?

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
not a month ago i redid axle shaft u-joints, (both sides) the front drive shaft joints (and the double carden) and rear driveshaft.

It all worked great until i turned and i had a bit of slight binding, now it feels as though 4wd is not engaged at all YET the tcase shift lever is definately in 4hi. Only the rear spins and the front remains dead. YES the hubs are locked too and i dont have an electric tcase, its all manual, oh and i do have an L/S in the front now too, maybe something fucked up in the diff?

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
The best way to diagnose the problem is to get all four wheels off the ground and start turning stuff by hand to see what's working and what's not.

Sorry to hear your having problems after all the work you did.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
something somewhere between the tcase and the front wheels is broke. as Evan said, put it up in the air and start turning stuff by hand.

michowski

Reaction score
jack the front end in the air with the hubs and 4wd engaged. Have someone spins the tires and trace the driveline to see were its failing.

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just got in from jacking it up and checking out the driveline, the driver side hub's internals got all screwed up and broke i guess, very cold winters and hubs dont mix apparently lmao

i just ordered a new set of 37780 jeep hubs.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If those were the hubs you got from me, then they were already 37780's. I think that's the first I've heard of someone breaking a 37780. They're strong enough that it's usually the axle that goes first.

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
heh yea brendan they were the ones i bought from you, it turns out it was a little more than the hub that broke, The ball joints havent been changed for a long ass time, and old ball joints and misalignment set the camber toe out like a savage, i'm guessing when i turned and started to bind, the weight of the wheel started jarring the lower ball joint, safe to say, the wheel might as well be horizontal, i think when the wheel got to the point where it is now, the shaft spinning in the hub just tore it all to shit. i'll post some pics of the way its sitting right now with the wheel toed out. I took it apart, put my other hubs that i had spare back on it, 4wd worked for a bit, but ball joints are to blame maybe. oh i was going to ask, what sort of special tool do i need for ball joints? is it just that fork looking thing to pry up on them?

91exploreron37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just loosened the bootom bolt ball joint bolt and hit the spindle a couple of time with a sledge. Wait do you have the TTB?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I am sure he is working on the 1996, so yeah he has a TTB.

91exploreron37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh ok just asking because my mom's 96 explorer is IFS or maybe its a 97?:icon_confused:

HRTKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i guess, very cold winters and hubs dont mix apparently lmao
I'm not sure I agree with that, but maybe we have different equipment. I have a stock '91 Ranger 4x4 that I was out wheeling through 15" deep snow when it was about -12 degrees F. My hubs didn't have any problems but then again, they're so old and have been so poorly maintained that maybe they're just used to abuse.

HRTKD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
explorers had the TTB up till 1994. 1995 and up had IFS. rangers used the TTB up until 1997. 1998 and up have the IFS.
Help a newbie out please. I understand IFS, but what is TTB? I thought my '91 had IFS.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure I agree with that, but maybe we have different equipment. I have a stock '91 Ranger 4x4 that I was out wheeling through 15" deep snow when it was about -12 degrees F. My hubs didn't have any problems but then again, they're so old and have been so poorly maintained that maybe they're just used to abuse.
TTB is a form of IFS, but it isn't the same system as the 98+ IFS. That's probably where the confusion started.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals