• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dodge cummins ecu?

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey im currently in the process of buying a 2001 dodge ram 2500 cummins.
its 4 speed auto 24 valve, and on the day i was supposed to buy it the guy calls me, he was on the way out of town (he lives an hour away) the CEL came on. he went to the dealership, and diagnostics pointed to a faulty ecu. he said the dealership would fix it and he will pay for it. the thing i dont get is how can an ecu go bad but the truck runs fine?
he said it ran the same just CEL was on.
kinda unfortunate since the new computer was a grand...
ill have the truck tuesday, so ill have pics up then.
hope its not a basket case, he says he has reciepts for work and new tranny and t-case.
im not worried about the engine with only 179k miles bein a cummins its just broke in but the truck its in may b fun if i dont take care of problems when i get it.
hope all goes well. can anyone explain why it would run fine?
he says it gets 600 ish km's per tank and the tank is 100 liters.
my math tells me that aint that good of milage.
and its not chipped so that would help but...
anyways, any info helps...

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I had the same truck but a dually and an auto......

my cel cam on because of a bad throttle position sensor and it ran fine other than cruise control.
I never had a single ecu issue though.

If you get it get an amsoil oil bypass system for the oil....... will save you in long run and it's stupid simple to put on.

And I recomend an airdog 150gph fuel pump because those vp pumps go out if you get below 12 psi consistantly and they are 1,100 bucks.

Frank

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how much is a 150 air dog?
i and that would allow me to run higher flow injectors correct?
although then i might need better cooling...

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so i guess its an ecm not ecu.
and today i got a call the ecm they changed it out for is no good also. effen dodges.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
You can run the injectors anyways, but you fuel pump may drop pressure..... I ran 200hp inj with a 66/71Industrial injection turbo....... had water methanol to cool it. o-ringed headstuds, lol.

I always buy from wally at Fast Track Enterprise. located in ohio best prices, best injectors.

If you want a quick cheap power boost get you some 100hp inj, do the fuel pump, and make your hx35 into an hx 35/40 hybrid, it will spool like a mother. I stacked edge timing and tst fuel boxes, but I'd say there's better stuff out there nowadays. Don't run bullydog anything ever, advances timing too much and is hard on em.

then get ready to buy a Goerend or Suncoast Trans.

and get gauges before you do anything.

Frank

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can run the injectors anyways, but you fuel pump may drop pressure..... I ran 200hp inj with a 66/71Industrial injection turbo....... had water methanol to cool it. o-ringed headstuds, lol.

I always buy from wally at Fast Track Enterprise. located in ohio best prices, best injectors.

If you want a quick cheap power boost get you some 100hp inj, do the fuel pump, and make your hx35 into an hx 35/40 hybrid, it will spool like a mother. I stacked edge timing and tst fuel boxes, but I'd say there's better stuff out there nowadays. Don't run bullydog anything ever, advances timing too much and is hard on em.

then get ready to buy a Goerend or Suncoast Trans.

and get gauges before you do anything.

Frank
guages r first, then chip, then winch

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what you think now....... then you'll end up like I did with over a years salary wrapped up in it and your having to buy cry'od gears and input shafts to hold it together.

Frank

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha im hopin not too put too much into it. got my eye on some new parts already.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals