• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

airbag error code 46

Tigger038

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My airbag light is blinking error code 46 and I can't find anything online about what this error code means. My truck is a 2001 Ranger 3.0L.

Tigger038

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone have a list of airbag error codes for an 01 Ranger?

98greenrangerguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
From what I can tell, that code refers to a fault in one of the crash sensors at the front of the vehicle. You may want to consult the pro's on this one.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't looked up the code myself, but if it is one of the front crash sensors, disconnect the battery and pull the connector off of the sensors- a lot of times they get moisture in there and act goofy- then dry them off, put some dielectric grease in there, and plug 'em back in. Then reconnect the battery.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Looked up the code at dealer. The actual code from Ford repair manuals for an '01 Ford Ranger (Page 501-6b) says the code indicates "Drivers' side pretensioner High/Low resistance" (actual code 46 is for both high and low resistance). Code 46 can be set by having something unplugged in the SRS system with the car power on. The first thing recommended is to reset the memory. (Clearing DTC codes doesn't reset airbag codes, apparently) Get to a dealer to reset this code. If it comes back, you actually have a problem. Multiple steps from the book after that.

Tigger038

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey srteach, it's been 3 months and the error code just came back yesterday. Could I get the rest of the info on what they sagest to do next? Or if anyone has access to the info would they post it?

rg2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know that this is an old thread, but just for information purposes:

We had this error code flashing, after we replaced the driver's seat with one from the JY (ours had a tear in it, and the JY one was in good shape.) The airbag had gone off in the truck in JY that we got the seat from. This code is for the pretensioner that's in the driver's seatbelt receiver. If the airbag goes off, the pretensioner (which tightens the seat belt) goes off and tightens the belt. We just swapped the seatbelt receiver/pretensioner from the old seat to the new one. It's one small screw and one bolt, remove the wire, move it over to the other seat. Pretty simple and straight forward, and fixed the problem. Looking closely, you could see that the pretensioner had gone off, so it actually wasn't safe having that belt receiver in the truck...but problem's fixed now.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice. Thanks for the update. After I posted my reply up top, I had the same code on my '02. Finally one day a passenger moved the seat forward and the light went on- so I simply unplugged and plugged the connector under the seat one time and the code never came back- just dirty connector.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals