• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual Fuel Tank Explorer

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a tank from a 95 caravan....all the mounting, wiring,etc.

I've seen posts on Rangers being done. Who's done an explorer? What problems did you have, pics , links to other threads,etc?

The selector valve is something around 250.00 CAD here, has anyone come up with a homebrew idea? I have a few idea's, just want to see what others have done first to make sure I'm on the right path...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm not sure anyone has done a dual tank ex. It sure would be cool to see, but I dunno if it can be done.

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I measured, the caravan tank with the crossmember/frame section from the caravan should fit. Within 1/2 an inch or so ( my measurements were VERY quick so I'll have to recheck them ). The filler door looks almost identical to the explorers door,etc. Oh, there's no spare tire carrier underneath.....got ripped out before I got the explorer.
I was thinking 1 filler door behind the other or one on each side. My biggest concern really ( I think anyways ) is the selector valve...and whether It can be done cheaper and safely rather than go with the one from ford...( Have 5 kids that ride in this thing ).

Any ideas?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm still trying to figure it out for my ranger. JY selector valve might be a good route to go.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
why not find a ranger that already has two tanks in a junkyard, and take the stuff from it ???

Robert

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would love to....unfortunatly its a 10hr drive to the nearest wrecker who has one. And they wont ship... Not to mention tho, that the valve would still be 20ish yrs old and I would rather have something newer. I dont want to get it all togethor and have to tear it apart the next day because it failed sorta thing ( not that it would happen, but its a possibility ). I also have 5 kids to worry about and should the thing die in the middle of nowhere,etc I'd rather avoid that ( I know new stuff can to, just the odd's are better of it not happeningwith new components ). I'm still looking on the net for pics of a dual gas tank explorer...

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Really it's not about a valve isn't it about which pump you turn on and to tie the fuel lines together.You have the return line that has to go back to the tank your using not to overflow the other full tank.If you don't have a valve for the return line you would always have to use the tank with the return line first.If you want to keep it simple why can't you put a single pole double throw switch in to switch the pumps back and forth.The Jc whitney kit looks like it changes the gauge to but it's unlikely a Dodge Caravan sending unit would speak in a language your gauge would understand.

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Really it's not about a valve isn't it about which pump you turn on and to tie the fuel lines together.You have the return line that has to go back to the tank your using not to overflow the other full tank.If you don't have a valve for the return line you would always have to use the tank with the return line first.If you want to keep it simple why can't you put a single pole double throw switch in to switch the pumps back and forth.The Jc whitney kit looks like it changes the gauge to but it's unlikely a Dodge Caravan sending unit would speak in a language your gauge would understand.
I thaught about this, if i understand correctly your saying to T the lines in togethor without a valve, the only problem I seen with this is without some sort of a check valve fuel would bleed into the tank not being used still ( possibly ).

I dont mind using a proper valve if I have to, but for arguement sakes, I had thaught about doing a few things a little differently...

- running all the fuel lines into the engine compartment and using manual on/off valves.
- Using low voltage DC valves from a hydronic heating system ( can get these for free )
- Using check valves to stop fuel bleeding back to the unused tank with the exception of the return line...the only thing I can think of is the auto valve from a heating system. ( I havent gotten around to checking out wether or not they're usable for gas though ).

That being said 82.00 for the valve isn't bad at all. So in the end I may just go that route. I am interested to hear what others have to say about my other ideas though...

For the sending unit, that isn't a problem. I plan to power the 2nd pump all the time to a second fuel guage in the cluster ( I'm working on a custom digital cluster ). The other idea I had was to just use another explorer sending unit, but the caravan one is new...so its 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other...

I had also considered doing like Allan D did with one tank as storage rigged to just fill the 2nd tank, but...I'm planning on moving to another province in the next little while and the explorer has to go through inspection to insure it there, so it needs to look good.

I dont know if I mentioned why exactly I want 2 tanks on my explorer....lol, the price of gas accross the border....WAY cheaper than here. almost 25 cents/L ( roughly 1.00/gal ) cheaper than in Canada...lol. And of course the extended range.....but mostly the amount of gas I can buy...lol.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
it would be a lot simpler and in the long run cheaper just to get the set up off a duel tank ranger, and if your worried about useing old parts, then just replace the valve with the same unit but new, this way you know it works, the guys at Ford have done all the hard work for you.

Robert

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it would be a lot simpler and in the long run cheaper just to get the set up off a duel tank ranger, and if your worried about useing old parts, then just replace the valve with the same unit but new, this way you know it works, the guys at Ford have done all the hard work for you.

Robert
Good point, however......a few problems, 10 hrs...1000km.....2000km round trip this is gonna cost me 2 - 300.00 in fuel, the same unit from ford another 300.00, plus hotels,etc.....it would run me around 1000.00 easy by the time I was done... Almost forgot the cost of the parts in there.....another 500.00...

My way...tank,etc is all free....worst case scenerio I buy the other selector valve posted earlier...83.00 cost plus shipping, duty,etc. so lets call that 100.00 - 125.00. If I can figure something else out along the same lines my cost goes to 0.00.

So in comparison, go with ford equiptment and put out 1500.00.........go with what I've got and at most costs me 125.00. How is paying out 1375.00 more cheaper in the long run?

The only old parts I'm concerned about is the selector valve. I have 5 kids that ride in my explorer and I dont want to risk having an old valve bugger up on me leaving me stranded somewhere.... thats NOT a fun walk with 5 kids, my oldest being only 6.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
The only old parts I'm concerned about is the selector valve. I have 5 kids that ride in my explorer and I dont want to risk having an old valve bugger up on me leaving me stranded somewhere.... thats NOT a fun walk with 5 kids, my oldest being only 6.
you have 5 kids but you want to trust a home made setup, compared to a system that is proven to work by ford ?!? Sorry, I don't get it

Robert

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you have 5 kids but you want to trust a home made setup, compared to a system that is proven to work by ford ?!? Sorry, I don't get it

Robert
Whats not to get? A valve is a valve. Fords is 300ish, the other one 83.00, if one from a heating system would work its free ( or even a manual valve ). The advantage of using a valve from a heating system is they can be switched manually as well in the event of failure. Neither the ford, nor the other one posted earlier has this feature. So YES I trust the home made setup more. Simply because it could be manually switched in the event of failure. Also keep in mind if all else fails, I have no issue buying the 83.00 selector valve and using that ( thats still 1375.00 cheaper than driving 10hrs to get parts from a truck in which I can't even verify work/dont leak ).

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The fuel pumps have check valves to hold the fuel in.I like alland's set up too.I think your building something for mama and that needs two gauges and be clear to use.IMHO if I felt good about it it wouldn't bother me at all that it wasn't FOMOCO built.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals