• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

b2 quarter glass interchange?

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1984 bronco and need quarter glass replaced. Does the newer (1986-1991) glass fit the older bronco II body? And what else do you need or am I stock looking for 1984 or 1985 broncos for glass?

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
all the glass should interchange, i think rangers use the same window glass since forever, and if you're talking about those massive side windows in the b2, yes, they interchange.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The 84-85 glass is bonded in.

Not sure if the holes are in the window lip for mounting up the 86-90 glass.

You could always drill the holes for the mounting studs. You may need to remove the little nubs for the trim clips.

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yes massive rear quarter windows. Thanks for response. Can the windows be run without the 1984 trim and be like the newer ones or are the body panels a little different?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Body panels are the same. Ford changed the design of the trim. the older 84-85 was just the glass with the aluminum trim pieces. in 86 they changed to a molded rubber/plastic trim, that eliminates the need for the aluminum trim pieces.

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Is there any advantage to one style vs the other?

ifergusson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On my 84 Bronco II someone broke the large side window and I grabbed a newer one at the wreckers and put it in and it fit fine.You might want to go to an autobody supply place and get a roll of butyl tape to use as a sealant.I think the only advantage is there is a rubber molding around the outside instead of the the metal trim so it has a cleaner appearance.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes the butyl tape is a must. for sealing them.

I prefer the butyl over the Urethane because it will allow the window to move and flex a bit in the opening. same for the opening itself. With a solid bond of the Urethane it makes the assy pretty rigid and likely stresses out the glass. Ford likely realized this and made the change to the rubber trim.

I have about 4 sets of side windows, should I ever break any. At $1200 for a shop to replace one side. It could mean that insurance will likely total it, rather than fix it. So I keep spares.

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
wow... didn't realize it was so expensive to have a shop do it. the reason I am looking into replacing them is because the previous owners of the bronco set it up as a tailgate vehicle to wine and dine clients before football games. It was painted rams blue and had gold stripes over the windows. When I got the bronco the stripes had already been removed from everywhere but the roof. The problem is that they used a random orbital sander on the glass to either make the vinyl stick better (doubtful) or to remove the stripes that were on the glass and residue (lazy). I am currently trying to sand the swirl scratches out, but have my doubts that it will work.

It appears they used about 150 grit to do the damage. I have tried rubbing compound first, then 1000 grit, they only polished up the high spots. I am going to try to pick up some 600 ish grit tomorrow and see if I can do some good and go from 600 to 1000 and then rubbing compound.

worst case I replace the windows (which I am considering already)... all I am losing by trying to work the scratches out is some time and some money on the sand paper...

Thanks for all the input everyone much appreciated.

Last edited:

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Last edited:

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I have that episode on DVR yet because of the glass thing. (Actually I have a whole library of Trucks and Xtreme 4x4 saved on dvr, but that is beside the point)

Just thought I would throw a picture of the bronco up you can kinda see the scratched up windows in the picture...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals