• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Explorer power windows?

buzzy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The power windows on my wifes 2000 Explorer stopped working.
I messed with the window lock and that wasn't it, so I jiggled the harness going to the door and they started working. Then I opened and closed the door a few time and they quit again.
I checked for broken wires and didn't find any.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
You checked for broken wires? Did you use a continuity tester? Did you wiggle the wires while testing? Did you pull the connector apart to check for corrosion? Did you check for proper ground? Did you check the window motor mounting (they usually ground through the casing)?

I once had to disassemble the window switch to clean corrosion off the terminals. They only worked sometimes until I cleaned them.

The problem is either internal to the motor or in the wire harness. Either way, you MUST have good source AND good ground. If internal to the motor, replace. Otherwise fix the connection problem.

buzzy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did check continuity, and I did pull apart the plug, there were a couple of darker connectors that i probably should have cleaned I just didn't think they were to bad.
I will do that and check the grounds like you sugested.
thank you for your help!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'll put $10 on it being a blown fuse. look at the fuse panel under the hood (it's on the driver's side) find the corresponding fuse for the power windows and check to see if it is blown. i have a 2000 explorer and this has happened to me twice, once it was the driver window and once it was the rear passenger side window. it's a 30A fuse btw (clear green)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i'll put $10 on it being a blown fuse. look at the fuse panel under the hood (it's on the driver's side) find the corresponding fuse for the power windows and check to see if it is blown. i have a 2000 explorer and this has happened to me twice, once it was the driver window and once it was the rear passenger side window. it's a 30A fuse btw (clear green)
And I'll take your $10 because a blown fuse would cause no function, not intermittent function.

Pinched wire, check for pinch marks on the harness.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^
true, do you take paypal? lol

check the switch, or maybe the motor is bad? it's 10 years old, maybe it's finally giving out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals