• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 ranger brake issues

kward3332

Reaction score
I have front rotors and rear drums... they have been replaced, serviced etc. my question is usually when i start the truck after sitting awhile the first couple of braking the rear wheels lock up, does anyone know what this could be from, my mechanic doesn't see anything and can't figure it out

KIM

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Ranger based vehicles, who knows why, but the rear brake pads like to absorb water when sitting in damp areas. They will usually always catch and grab hard the first few stops and then go away.

Some people claim using the higher priced, better quality pads help, me, I just lived with it because for once it felt like I had good brakes.

Nothing to worry about, just remember to stop slowly the first few times and keep on truckin.

kward3332

Reaction score
thanks for the reply but are you sure cause sometimes even whaen i brake lightly they lock up like i just slammed the brakes

Jeepman401

Reaction score
What he said just about sums it up. Its not exactly anything wrong with the truck, its just something that happens

linuxman2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, my '01 does the same thing. After a few good stops it will go back to normal.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
thanks for the reply but are you sure cause sometimes even whaen i brake lightly they lock up like i just slammed the brakes
The problem is the moisture gets into the rear shoes, the front uses disks, the rear is all that is affected. Anyway, moisture enters and swells up the brake lining making it closer to the drum, when you stop the first few times it takes little travel to make them contact, as you stop more the heat generated evaporates the water and the issue goes away.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yup, happens to me too, with stock shoes, and then the cheap-o replacements.. im not sure if the expensive replacements fix the problem or not.

happens a lot in the winter if i park in snow or slush, just make sure you have the little rubber plugs in the bottom the drum backing plate, that would make the problem a lot worse, if missing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals