• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Who Makes The Better Lift?

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Who Makes The Better Lift? ~ Also A Question On Shocks

I've been slacking on my B2, wanted it done this month. But it's nowhere close.

Always planned to do the Skyjacker stage II 6" lift, extended arms, leafs ect. But I was browsing James Duff site and I see their 5.5" lift,

Here’s the deal. We’ve been working on our 5 1/2”-6” lifts for several years... but we hadn’t released them because we were unhappy using radius arm drop brackets. So, here they are— available only with our extended radius arms. We feel this is the BEST way to lift a TTB this much for the sake of safety, strength, handling and ground clearance. This means the lifts include:
•5-6” Progressive Rate Coil Springs*
•New Coil Tower Dual Shock mounts
•Rod Ended Extended Radius Arms
•HD Tranny Crossmember
•Extended Stainless Brake lines
•Drop pitman arm (fits PS only)
•Axle pivot drop brackets
•4 front shocks, 2 rear shocks, 6 shock boots
•Urethane coil pads, leveling spacer
•U-bolt kit
•Leaf Blocks, if applicable
•Complete Replacement Leaf Spring Packs
•Spring Eye Bushings
*Lift heights will vary by vehicle configuration.

PART# 5050-3 - Stage 3 Suspension, Bronco II 4WD, 5-5.5 $1829

So who makes the better lift kit ? I'm finally ready to start moving on my B2, first up is the 4.0L swap (motor sitting on stand in garage) Then the lift. Just trying to find the best lift.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
At this moment in time, I think Skyjacker has the best offering. At least SJ offers a drop pitman arm that actually corrects the steering to an acceptable degree (although they don't include it with the kit, you may be able to get it substituted for the arm in the kit and just pay the cost difference however... pt# FA600).

There's a chance that JD might be coming out with some new stuff in the near future however. From what I've seen they've been doing some product testing recently.

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, I guess we will see. I'll hold off on ordering parts until I am ready to install

Anyone else have an opinion ?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Skyjacker also gets my vote

Dash71121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the duff lift has some cool features like the dual shock mount coil buckets, and the progressive rate coils. i do like the "rod ended" radius arms as well. havent heard of anyone trying the lift yet though. i say you try it and give us a review haha

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have personal experience with James Duff stuff...but I do have an opinion.

Both are good, strong, complete kits, that I think are similarly priced.

Your decision should be based off of whats different about the two kits:

Aspect #1
JD had rod ends (more flex but more noise and vibrations felt in the cab)
SJ has regular style (OEM) doughnot bushings (less flex but less cab noise too)

Aspect #2
JD has a dual shock coil bucket/radius arm (6x shocks total, more expensive when you need to replace them) Probably rides pretty nice tho with the 70/30 valving and a dual setup.
SJ has a single shock setup because it retains the ORIGINAL coil bucket (shorter shocks of the stud type, which means more binding with lots of suspension travel). I've heard SJ coils and shocks make a fairly comfortable ride tho...not the best, but the best out of all the other actual "lift kits".

Aspect #3
Black vs. Blue powdercoating :icon_twisted:

Aspect #4
JD has progressive coils
SJ has linear/single rate coils

Aspect #5
JD axle drop brackets have a single mounting hole for the pivot bolt (another could be drilled tho).
SJ's brackets have two mounting holes already drilled out for you allowing you to reducing/increase/better align your vehicle to better accomodate different nose weights of different BIIs and Rangers.

Aspect #6
It appears that SJ drop brackets are more beefy in construction, however I have never compared them to JD brackets in hand, only in pictures.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Skyjacker is better at the 6" level. Those brackets are the same between 4 and 6" lifts. But, the 6" coils almost always align better in the 4" holes.

There is nothing wrong with duff TTB brackets, it's their choice to go to hiems and run progressive coils that turn people off them.

With an rbv, dual shocks aren't really needed, just think..... What type of vehicles are built with dual shocks? Choose a good shock like a bilstien and it'll more than handle the bigger tires.

Like junkie said, duff is working on some pretty awesome ideas and figuring out a way to run the softer EB coils on rbv's.

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm, Well if it helps any, this vehicle will not be driven on the road, I mean I might now and then. But it's not my daily driver, I bought it to build a little trail rig. It's a toy, so really I don't care much as to how it rides, just the function/amount of flex I get from it.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I've never seen a point on putting dual shocks on anything.

I'd go for the skyjacker just for that. And I'm not a fan of progressive rate coils either...

But I've ran neither so my opinion is useless pretty much :icon_rofl:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The only point of dual shocks would be to control and share the work on a heavy vehicle, with a heavy payload, with a heavy axle.

Now, granted dual shocks may be useful when running a SUPER soft spring on a trail rig, but with stock RBV coils, and most stock ap coils......they are about as useless as tits on a boar. They just "look cool".

You want a good, solid 6" lift, go skyjacker or piece together/make your own.

I'm going the piece together route.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you also have to remember that jd specializes in the eb and rbv market where skyjacker does just about every vehicle. you would think w/ that in mind they would have a little better idea of the eb/rbv suspensions

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
Personally they are both excellent kits, there is someone on here who has worked very closely with James Duff and says there stuff is primo. I'm planning on the James Duff kit. Skyjacker may offer a bigger pitman arm but it isn't the one that comes with the kit...so no kudos for that. The only company that every address the handling issuers was superlift and there handling of it still needed improvement. Now Duff is working with Stone Crusher Steering for an a steering kit, if you contact Anthony at Stone crusher steering .com he will give you all the info. This kit is Awesome, it is Heim Jointed and 1 1/4 in O.D., very heavy and ready to do the job.
As for the comments on the fact the Duff uses Heim joints...well if you look through the threads you will find many that have used them and no complaints of noise or vibration. They hold up better than the doughnuts and have a greater range of motion without binding.
Remember, Duff works with RBV and EB only, period end of story. Skyjacker makes an excellent kit, many people use it, there are pros and cons to both, depending on what your needs are, there isn't any one kit out there that does it all perfectly.

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
One more thing, skyjacker has a rebate on shocks right now. Whats better for what I'm looking to do, the Hydro's or Nitros ? Off-road ability is my top priority.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
Is the stone crusher steering anything like the superlift superruner kit? I've pondered this very question and have decided to go with JD. The JD kit goes on my DD/Dune/Fireroad runner. I may have to powder coat or paint the blue however. Good topic!!

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Thinking about doin a D35 swap when I put the lift in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals