• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ranger Super Cab Build, this will be a LONG term project

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
NEW PICS !!1992 Ranger Super Cab Build, with PICS, LONG Term Project!

Well, I guess Im finally gonna get around to creating my build thread. Now that the warm weather is here, I've been able to start making some small changes and minor upgrades. But be warned, this will be a LONG TERM project, probably at least a year or more until its finished. With an almost 6 year old, plus a 6 month old, plus moving to PA from NJ in a couple weeks, plus starting a new job , moving into a new house, getting in shape to attend the Police Academy this time next year, plus having to replenish the toy funds........................... Just bear with me guys, I have a clear vision of where Im taking this project and the wait will be worth it.

Project is a 1992 Ranger Ext Cab 3.0, 2 wheel drive. I got it from a buddy back in 2008 for free as a work truck. Then the crappy A4OD finally gave up on me and it sat in the drive way till this past winter, when I finally found a second truck for parts and had the money to spare to get the trans swapped out.

Last week I was pulling my hair out when I decided to take advantage of the good weather and did a long overdue tune-up, including cap, rotor, coil, plugs and plug wires. I posted a thread about my nightmare in the 3.0 subsection. Turns out at some point in the past, someone did a timing chain on the engine and got the alignment dots for the cam gear and the crank gear 180 out. So when I changed the plug wires and put the new ones on the correct way, I got no start. Finally figured it out with some help of a couple guys and got her running by putting the plug wires on 180 opposite of whats called for to trick everything.

Anyway, here's some pics.

What your looking at..

The green 92 Standard cab is the one I bought as a parts truck for the trans.

The 14" steel wheels and crappy Pep Boys hub caps you see on it are the ones that were on my blue project truck until a couple months ago. The green truck came with 15" Aluminum ones, so I switched em over and polished them up a little, they still need more work though, I'll get to them one of these days, you can see them on the blue ext cab truck in the pics

BTW, The Green Standard Cab 3.0 is FOR SALE ASAP !! Ran FINE when I pulled the trans. The old trans is there to rebuild if wanted. Im moving to PA by the end of April, so this needs to go ASAP !! South Jersey near Rowan University. $700 OR BEST OFFER !!!

The pics of all the parts is what I scored today after 6 hours at the local U Pull It yard.

1) Ford Explorer Limited Front Bumper. I've been searching hi and lo for this thing since I first saw it on TS6034's Build. I found one on Ebay in Washington State for 52 bucks, but cross country commercial shipping would have totaled 150 ! . Found another thru a referral from another salvage yard in PA, but they wanted 200 ! I got this one today for 10 minutes work and 42.00:icon_bounceblue:

2) The rest is all the interior trim pieces from the doors back, in gray, including the jump seats, seat belts, retractable cargo cover, etc etc. I was REALLY dreading fighting the Torx bolts for the seat belt mounts, after reading about how stubborn they can be here on the forum. The God's were smiling on me today, as they all came out without hardly any protest, with the lone exception of the two inboard ones for the front seats, which I gave up on after starting to strip one and becoming worried about ruining the bit.

I already had picked up a gray dash board, the door panels and front trim pieces last summer. So all I need now to be ready to switch out the inside is seats, headliner and carpet.

3) Picked up a gray, full length console out of an Explorer ( all the way to the dash underside ) , has a slot for a ten disc changer, extra power outlet, cup holders , etc. Even though this thing was a royal PITA to get out, basically had to take it apart piece by piece to get to all the hidden mounts, this was something I REALLY wanted, second only to the Limited front bumper and lower spoiler.

4) Also scored the overhead console, temp/compass. And a three bulb dome light. Those are the two tan pieces in the pics.

5) Got the updated grill I had been looking for.

Paid less then 100 bucks for EVERYTHING in the Pics :yahoo:

6) Will be going to another Pull It yard down the street to grab the gray lighted visors and the auto dimming rear view mirror. Also found another Explorer at that yard on Sunday that has a HUGE trans cooler and an electric fan on it, gonna try and grab that.

7) Forgot, I also need to find a tilt column to complete my interior mods. Whats the deal on needing the PASS module out of the glovebox so the key works ? Is that on ALL models or just certain model years Explorers?

The spoiler and driving lights you see on the blue project truck is just a standard Ranger one, brand new for 35 bucks, when it was looking like my search for a Limited front bumper was going to be long and likely futile. Even though I found what I wanted today, I still dont regret the afternoon I spent switching out the old beat up front spoiler and installing the driving lights.

The long term plan is to add a roll pan with a flip down tag mount to hide a receiver hitch, some side skirts for ground effects along the sides, lower it 3/4, just enough to bring the fender lip down to the top or just a little past the top of the tires. Switch the rear to the Explorer 8.8 with rear wheel discs, finish rebuilding the front end ( ball joints, tie rod ends , etc ).

Cowl Induction Hood, clear turn signal/marker lights up front and " Euro " taillights, swap the tailgate handle to the inside, Rhino Line the bed, hardshell fiberglass tonneua cover, paint it either Black Cherry Mettalic, maybe two tone Black Cherry over Gray, I dunno , still playing with ideas.

17" Polished Cobra Rims, and swap the powertrain for a C4 and a Mustang 302 with GT40 heads.

One of the guys that was finally able to help me get her running last week after the tune up debacle is a Ford Certified Tech and was just recently on an NHRA Team that lost its sponsorship, so he'll be my engine guy.

I REALLY hate to lose overdrive, but the NHRA guy said go with a C4 for durability under high horsepower. I'll be stoked if I can get this thing to run in the mid 12's and still be a reliable daily driver. Someone mentioned an AOD, but said it was heavy. If anyone has any ideas, by all means feel free to offer them. This is my FIRST Ranger and FIRST two wheel drive pick-up EVER( hence the screen name Trailrated92, Im a Jeep guy)so there's a pretty steep learning curve I have to climb.

BTW, will Explorer power seats fit the seat tracks of a Ranger 60/40 split ? OR will the Explorer seat tracks match up to the bolt holes in the Ranger Floor Pans ? NO big surprise, but Im striking out trying to find decent Mustang, Turbo T-Bird or other " direct bolt in" seats. But I found more then a few sets of power Explorer seats in pretty good shape today.

Ok everyone, thats all I have for now, fire away :thefinger:

Last edited:

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Tried to update the thread title to include that I figured out how to post pics but it didnt take for some reason. :icon_confused: Anyway Pics are now available in the thread

TS6034

September 2009 STOM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm subscribed...

jhammel85

Looks good man. Good score @ the U-Pull-it! Where are you at in NJ?

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good man. Good score @ the U-Pull-it! Where are you at in NJ?
Williamstown , near Rowan University, but moving to Lancaster County PA in a couple more weeks

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thread Update NEW PICS !!

Hey guys ! New Pics of my progress so far. Life has not been very kind to me since I last posted. As of May, my wife and I seperated after nearly 14 years and two kids together, including my 11 month old son :bawling:

I've been stupid busy over the summer with rehabbing and moving into a different and much smaller house that lacks a garage, but I do now have 10 acres of land. I also went to Commercial Driving School since its about the only blue collar job left around the Northeast thats actually hiring and paying decent money. Took and passed the road test two weeks ago, including endorsements for Haz Mat, Tanker, Double / Triple Trailers, etc. Now just need to get hired somewhere ASAP !! LOL

Anyway I finally got some free time last weekend to change the grill to an Exploder one and this weekend to sand, prime, paint and install the Exploder Limited front bumper I scored back in April at the U Pull it Yard.

Along the way I got to spend some much needed quality time with my 6 year old daughter, who is NOT taking the seperation well AT ALL, but LOVES wrenching and learning stuff from her old man:yahoo:

My last big project before the Winter weather hits will hopefully be getting the new Seats, Center console and other related stuff installed. Then I guess Im taking time off working on it until the weather breaks next Spring, unless I somehow manage to get some kind of half ass garage put up in the meantime. I HATE working outside in the cold. Takes all the fun out of wrenching.

Anyway , here's some new pics for those that are following along.

Before

During

After

Daughter taking driving light brackets off the old bumper

Believe it or not, the Primer, Adhesion Promoter , Duplicolor Blue and Clear were ALL done with BARE BONES equipment and RATTLE CANS with a trigger grip attachment !!:shok: I think the results turned out damn good considering what I had to work with and the conditions.

Last edited:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I think it would look really good with clear corners

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think it would look really good with clear corners
LOL , great minds think alike ! Already planned on going with HID Projectors and clear corners and turn signals. Just doing it bit by bit as I free up limited cash, Im still laid off after all :shok:

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update NEW Pics

Scored Ford Factory Cobra rims with tires ( so-so) for $150 off Craigslist yesterday and couldnt wait for the sun to come up to get started on mounting them.

The pass rear had been bead blasted and left unfinished to facilitate a small weld repair, so I cleaned the hell out of it and shot it with Duplicolor Wheel paint and it matched perfectly.

The drivers side rear has a slight bend in the lip and some curb rash, but I've already worked it out with a local metal shop to make the needed repairs, bead blast and powder coat all 4.

The only real "problem" I have run into is that even with spacers up front I cant put the center caps on because of the dust covers. I knew it might be a problem, but the deal on the wheels was simply to good to pass up.

I thought I had seen something on here at one time about machining out the center of the wheel to allow it to fit over the hub, thus eliminating the need for spacers and then the center caps will fit. I cant find the thread now, so if anyone knows what Im talking about, please post a link to it.

Then again, while searching around the web, I stumbled on a guy up in Canada that makes a kit to switch the front hub/spindle assembly to allow the mounting of 13" Cobra Rotors and calipers, which would also fix the problem. I just have to talk to my suspension guy about my planned 3/4 drop and if this kit will be a problem in anyway with setting up the dream beams, I cant see how it would, but Im new to all this and want to minimize surprises.

Also found out I can get a Rear Disc Cobra or Wilwood Kit for the Exploder 8.8 I plan on using.:headbang:

One other change has occured mid project. The guy that is tabbed to build my AOD for me is also a big Ford Racing guy and just happened to have a 302 block, bored .30 over, with 10.5-1 pistons and conn rods for $500. So it looks like the original idea for a 302 is out and Im going to go with his 347.

My end goal is mid 11's in the 1/4 with at least 350 to 400 rhp so..........

PICS

http://

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Truck looks good, can you e-mail me the old spoiler :) ???

good luck with your truck driving job, but a piece of advice, when pulling a double, DON'T look in the mirrors at the trailers, when I did, it scared the fire out of me to see the back one weaving as I was going down the road.

Robert

Last edited:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice work. That thing would look good dropped about 3-4 inches.

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice work. That thing would look good dropped about 3-4 inches.
LOL Thats EXACTLY whats planned. A 3/4 drop, dream beams up front and a custom fabbed, adjustable 4 link/coil over set up out back

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Drop/Suspension/Brakes/8.8 with upgrades 2.5 k

400 hp injected 347 and AOD 6 k

Paint and Body work 3-4 k

Interior 1200

Misc ???

Smoking the guy in the Corvette next to me at the traffic light with a Ranger ?

PRICELESS :thefinger:

Last edited:

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking really good Bud!

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
More updates on the project

Well, things sure have been crazy fro me over the last several months.

In February I fell on ice at a neighbors house and broke my left leg BADLY, I had to literally drag myself back down the road about 400 yards by hand over hand to get back to my house and call an ambulance when it happened. Wound up having three surgeries, including a titanium plate and eight screws holding my lower leg together. So that REALLY slowed me down, since I was laid up and out of work until the end of May.

Anyway, I finally got around to changing out the 60/40 split bench for some almost perfect condition 6 way power buckets out of an Explorer I scored a few weekends ago at the local U Pull It. I also finally got my tilt column and Grant GT wheel installed. Had to dodge incessant rain here in Jersey today to get it done and finished up just as it got dark.

I also finally got the clear corners and diamond cut headlights put in, but didnt take pics of them yet. Also scored the factory Expedition Sport Limited driving lights that actually belong in the front bumper I have on it. They're factory Hella's and will fill out the cutouts better then the ones I have in it now.

As always, I'll keep updating as things progress, but its probably gonna slow down again now that Winter is coming again. The only thing I know for sure is that I'll have the gray dash in sometime soon, since the heater core has to be replaced and I have to track down an electrical gremlin thats keeping my heater blower motor from coming on, so the whole blue dash has to come off anyway to get to that stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals