• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Needing tip for lifting an '86-'87 bII

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so i ordered a 4" lift kit from skyjacker and getting ready to install it in the next few weeks, i know the rear drive shaft needs changed out and im wonder if ford made anything that would bolt up in there, im also wondering if the front or rear pinion angles has to be changed for this lift? any ideas or tips doing this would be helpful

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
Have a 4" inch kit in my '85 Bronco II and I'm planning on going to a 6" kit with longer radius arms. No problems with the pinion angles...any manufacturers have that worked into the kit. Go with the skyjacker extreme drop pitman arm, it is for 6-8 inches of lift but will allow a much better alignment and handling. The driveshaft needs to be swapped to a double cardan joint style. My ''85 had this shaft already but I needed to replace it, so I found one on ebay remanufactured for less than 200.00. You could possibly find one in the junkyard and rebuild it if necessary. Make sure you have a good angle grinder to take the rivets out for the factory brackets.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you have the CV style driveshaft you should replace it regardless. Mine was too short with my 6" lift and it was totally worn out anyway.

Usually when you order leaf springs with a kit they come with shims to correct the pinion angle - at least mine did anyway. No need to worry about the front because it's not really adjustable.

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with the 4" kit can the front be realinged easly or im i going to need a set of camber kits?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
You'll want to get the camber bushings. Even if you don't need them, they're good to have in there in case you want to change something.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
In most cases the cam bushings are required.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Some BIIs did come factory with a cardigan (U-joint with a funny double U-joint on one end). I have used one of those on a lifted BII and I have used what is supposed to be a Tom Woods version. I don't think there really is much difference. I got both shafts used, the one that's supposed to be a Tom Woods is in my choptop with about 5" of lift.

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys..I was just talking with them at James duff because I'm getting a their 5-5.5 inch stage three kit. I was talking to them about steering issues and some of the ways they have been addressed on the forum here. The guy I was talking to at Duff, Thomas, referred me to Stonecrushersteering.com. They just developed a heim jointed steering system for the TTB that James Duff has been testing for a while now. It is a bolt on kit that puts the tie rods in phase with the beams. I contacted them and the kit hasn't been released yet nor is it on their website. If you email them they will send details and info. It looks great and is the next one on my list. I was considering a superlift steering system and modifying it but not any longer. Check it out, it looks great.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've seen the Stonecrusher kit myself. Definitely looks quite promising. Should be much less picky about the pitman arm's drop not exactly matching your lift, as it'll have much less impact on the toe alignment going all crazy unlike with the stock linkage. This I'm thinking should easily allow 6" of lift (using the 4" drop Skyjacker #FA600 arm) even with good flexy coils).

I'd even be open to trying Stonecrusher's kit on mine in spite of already having a modded Superlift kit that works great (well, other than that I've bent the tierods on some rocks already).

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
So anybody have a pic of the Stonecrusher deal or even a drawing? I'm not in the market for a setup like that but I am always interested in cool TTB stuff.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i ordered a 4" lift kit from skyjacker and getting ready to install it in the next few weeks, i know the rear drive shaft needs changed out and im wonder if ford made anything that would bolt up in there, im also wondering if the front or rear pinion angles has to be changed for this lift? any ideas or tips doing this would be helpful
If you have a FM145 or TK5 5 speed, you can take the rear drive shaft and t-case output yoke from a 1985 with a 5 speed. If you have an A4LD, you'll have to have a shaft made.

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, especially 4x4junkie...you won't be bending tierods on this setup. If you email him he will send you pics. He says that 90% percent of his buyers aren't even usuing steering stabilizers again, though you can hook them up just need much larger u bolts to go aroung the tierods with the kit. I plan on buying one...it looks very impressive

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals