• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lowering my ranger

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

bluovaldude

Reaction score
NO. I would not use them. The front I would recomend cutting a coil out of the spring befor using those.

But they basically compress the spring to make it sit lower. And the blocks would work great out back if the axle was not under the springs.

So how low are you wanting to go with your truck ?

Because if you just want to start lowering it, then go lower with it in the future.

I would start with cutting coil out of the front springs, and in the back I would flip the rear shackles. and get yourself a good set of drop shocks on her.

This will net you roughly 2in and with a good set of tires will give you a decent handling truck too.

Also you can go with a set of drop I beams which will net you about 3in in the fron also. And you can flip the rear axle to go over the springs and get about a 4/4 drop.

The better thing about lowering your truck you do not have to go out right away and get new tire so things look right as with a lift you will have to get some bigger tires.

Just a thought.

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
the preoblem is i dont have a torch to cut the springs and plus i i f up i will have to buy new springs aswell...so those blocks wont work for the rear..?.ok so explain to me this whole precudiure of lowering the truck,..and then some shocks to put on it.thanks man

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First off you need to provide a little info about your truck. Might I suggest adding some specs to your signature area, by doing that it'll be available every time you post a question rather than having to repeat it. Item number 1 would depend on your truck, but generally speaking I'll have to say no. Technically yes they will work if you've got coil springs, but your ride will be poor as hell. Using those compressors lessens the the springs to do their job of compressing and rebounding, which will make for a very rough ride. The second item won't work on a stock Ford Ranger unless you want to lift, even then you'd probably be SOL since the dimensions are likely wrong.

How much do you want to lower your truck? What kind of stance do you want it to have, rake (back notably higher than front) or level?

I'm going to assume you have a 2wd. The front suspension options mostly depend on the year model, pre 98 or post 97. Pre 98 you can use drop springs to get up to* 2", drop I beams to get up to 3", or combine them for up to* 5". (* assuming you don't cut them) For the post 97 you can use control arms and/or springs, but I can't tell you how much drop to expect. On the rear things are pretty much universal between the years you can flip the shackle/hangar for about 2", flip the axle(put it on top of the springs) for 4" or 5" depending on the axle, or lowered leaf springs. Blocks and shackles can be used in conjunction with the flip kit for a little more or less drop respectively. Like on the front different methods can be combined, but after a point notching the frame will be required.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Instructions on the rear shackle flip are here, but IIRC the before pic is wrong.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Dec%2005/tech.htm

IMO buying drop springs is much better than cutting coils, and if you check around eBay you can find drop springs for about the same as what you were planning to spend on the items above.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Purty much what he said.
And he did describe his truck in another thread, but opened this on to ask about the parts.

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
k so i am going to get some lower front springs..but for the rear ..do i really have to pull the bed of the truck off..cause thats allot of work..u know wat i mean.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think pulling the bes is going to depend on how you want to remove those rivets. Pretty much do which ever way is easiest and most convenient for you.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Not neccasarry (sp) but convenient... You can do all these mods without it, and I know what you mean about being a pain we put my bed on and off my truck about 6 times when I bagged my Truck. For measurements and fitment.

But it really depend on how many friends you have, hehehe, No if you got 4 people and a place to set the bed for a day then do it take it off because those rivot can be a pain.

Oh and one last thing.... Wear your safety glasses.

alittlelow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here are some detailed pics for the rear hanger flip, just reverse the hanger and use grade 8 bolts and your done.
Stock

Reversed hanger

For the front the 2 inch drop coils aren't that expensive. I think i paid 60 for the belltech

Ajscytheguitarist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey

Im 17 And I Wanted To Do The Same Thing, I Bought a 2/3 drop kit and i have to say the Rear Flip Kit Went on Nice, but you be warned that when you drop the springs without changing controll arms you risk messing up your tires, i put 2'' drop springs in mine and not only were they hard to install but after i got done i noticed my tire camber was WAY OFF! and its still causing uneven wear on my front tires, and it looks ugly as hell. i went to an allignment shop and the guy said it would cost $600 to repair it. pretty much what im saying is that you have to spend alot of money to get a good kit, dont go for some little cheap kit that looks good. here is the kit i used i reccomend the rear flip kit though it looks and was really awesome to put on, but the coils were terrible... Click here to see the one i used. keep in mind you need drop shocks not included they run for about $30 each on stylintrucks.com

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals