• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gas tank skid plate removal????

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im trying to remove the skid plate thats covering my gas tank on my 88 bronco 2 and i got the 2 bolts out by the bumber but the fronts ones stripped off whats the best way to get them off?

John Smith

Reaction score
When u say stripped off...

did they break?....off?....they just go thru the strap then the mt member then thread into a plate....

Disregard that....I'm sorry I 4got the guardplate has a bolt/nut combo doesn't it?....didn't your wrench hold the nut on the top well enuf?...

Maybe i should just apologize and let others help.....

Last edited:

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
they didnt break off the head of the bolt just stripped off and i cant get vice grips in there really

John Smith

Reaction score
I can't remeber if the guard has blind nuts

or an actual nut for you to put a wrench on....

I have to say when i did mine...both the guard and tank straps i thought used a regular bolt /nut combo that would've been easily held by wrenches...and mine came out pretty easy....actaully after i broke them loose i used an electric drill/socket combo on both

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
take a 12 point socket you dont care about thats 1 size smaller, hit it on the bolt head until it is flush and then simply use your ratchet.... i had this same problem...

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ill try the 12 point socket thing my truck is extremely rustyso the bolts are way rusted skid plate is rusted through in places and it is a nut and bolt theres no way for me to get anything other then a flat wrench on the nut

John Smith

Reaction score
best wishes ....

I guess they make some special sokets that claim to latch onto any mangled head..I've never tried them....

Maybe i should'nt say this but I assume ur using some type of anti-rust assist like p-blaster to give some help?....

you may get a shot at breaking it loose...with not much grip but you shure would want some help on the threads as you remove it if you can "latch onto it"....

I have been using it on almost anything that is rusted and it generally helps....
I guess the 50/50 mix of acetone/atf is supposed to be better but haven't done that as well...

I have had to drill out some bumper bolts....that and a cold chisel...and it worked....

also as a last resort....a carbide cutting wheel of course...that probably would be the best solution....

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had to get a set of eazy-outs from matco (but i think every major tool place should have them) for mine, worked great

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah using wd-40 (all we had) and i was thinking cut off wheel but was unsure if i should be doing that around gas tank because of sparks

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i thought of that too. as long as you cut the head of the bolt(plate side) it will be fine. just have an extinguisher handy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals