• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

setting throttle position sensor for correct voltage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would like to check my throttle position sensor to see if it is set to the correct voltage...

can someone explain this procedure, in detail, and what the correct voltage should be, when checking it with a volt meter...

which wires do you check, on the throttle position sensor, while doing this procedure... I'm assuming you must have to, probably, have to back probe them... is that a correct assumption...

I want to do this on my 87 ranger 4x4, model STX, 5 speed tranny, 2.9 liter engine...

Last edited:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Set your volt meter to 0-2 volt setting, ground it to the battery, backprobe the center pin at the tps and set it to 0.92-0.95 volts using the screw on the throttle body. thats it.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Set your volt meter to 0-2 volt setting, ground it to the battery, backprobe the center pin at the tps and set it to 0.92-0.95 volts using the screw on the throttle body. thats it.
What screw?? or more appropreately which screw?

Is the TPS still attached to the throttle body when doing this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
to backprobe the center pin, at the tps, like you said... I'll need to poke a hole through the tps center pin's wire's insulation, right...

should I put a dab of silicone over the hole in the tps center pin's wire's insulation, after I've got it adjusted to the correct voltage setting, 0.92-0.95 specifications...

Last edited:

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Rather than disturbing the insulation just get an old saftey pin a poke it up into the back side of the conector a long side of the centre wire. It will go in about an inch or so.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Rather than disturbing the insulation just get an old saftey pin a poke it up into the back side of the conector a long side of the centre wire. It will go in about an inch or so.
Forgot to mention that:icon_thumby:

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
is it not possable to adjust the TPS by losening the screws? the two tps's i have lying around have one round hole, and one sloted one.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Ive never seen any like that but I doubt it because the tps would have to "swing" to be adjusted like that, adjusting the tps baseline screw on the throttle body on the opposite side will do the same thing, and is much easier.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
its easier? and you havent seen a TPS like that? I have three lol, two on my tool box and one on the truck.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You shouldn't use the battery negative terminal as a ground. You should use the GND wire at the TPS, for an accurate voltage reading.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its easier? and you havent seen a TPS like that? I have three lol, two on my tool box and one on the truck.
A friend of mine and I had this conversation about 6 months ago.

As far as the 2.9L TPS, I don't recall a slot to adjust it. I will have to double check, but I really don't think it does.

As far as a 5.0L HO, my friend kept telling me he set is base idle by adjusting the actual TPS via. slot.

Pete

Edit:
Forgot to answer some questions.

The screw he is referring to is on the other side of the throttle body, near where the throttle cable hooks up under the plastic guard. Looks like an idle adjustment screw - moves the butterfly in the TB, phillips I think, can't miss it.

You also don't need to remove any wire enamel. I can usually sneak the volt meter lead along the wire into the plug and press it against what the wire is crimped to inside of the plug. You do not need to remove anything, just turn your key on run, and test it as it sets.

Not all wiring configurations are the same on all 2.9L TPSes. Mine '88 had 2 part #s, I picked a random one, and picked the wrong one. I noticed that it had an (A,B,C) labeled inside where the plug connects into the TPS. The A,B,C configurations differed, I didn't look further, but it was apparrent that the wiring might be slightly different. Just test until you find the ground AND (the 5 volt reference OR computer signal).

Pete

Last edited:

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, could be different. When i got my new throttle body, the directions for setting base idle were to first get it runing and warmed up shut the truck off, un plug the tps, start it again and adjust the screw untill a steady 650somthing rpm was reached. Then shut the engine off, plug in the tps and turn the key to the run position. Then backprob the green and orange wires in the conector lossen the screw and adjust the tps to .98 volts.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You can also adjust it by eyeballing it. I use that screw to bump up my idle when using my on board air, I back it all the way out when I'm done, and screw it back in just enough to barely move the linkage, I've tested it with a volt meter after adjusting like this and it falls right on spec :icon_thumby:

tx_smorgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
yall are just talking about the tb scew to adjust it or a screw on the tps?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals