• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Rig

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Well ive probably had this for about a month now and i got it mainly for hunting, but im sure it could pull my ranger if i ever needed to. Anyway its a 95 k2500 six lug:shok:. Its got a 305 (0-60 in a day), 14 bolt 9.5 inch semi-floater(yuk), 700 tranny just rebuilt less than 5k miles ago, and a fifth wheel fold down type hitch. Oh and 199,000 miles. Shes no Cadillac for sure but not too bad of a truck for 1800 bucks.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not bad, I'm just not a chevy fan. To me they are real unresponsive, you have to mash the crap out of the gas to get them to go, and the same with the brakes and steering. I had an 84 S10 that was my dad's. The main seal leaked about 3/4 quart a day and he said the dealer said it would be about 1500 or up to fix so we just put oil in it before we drove it. He called self changing oil! LOL I drove the crap out of it and sold to a friend, and he drove the crap out of it and sold it to his friend who totaled it. It would die a lot when you went around a corner though. I hated that. I think those years had a bad carbs.

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
yea you gotta stomp on her pretty hard to accelerate at a reasonable speed haha. And yea im not a hard core chevy fan myself, i just needed a hunting truck a little bigger than the ranger and the price was right for me.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just can't believe they stuck a 305 in them things. What a shame. Other than that, nice truck.

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
yea me and my dad went to look at it and the guy had a kbb thing he had printed off in the window. It said 305 and i thought for sure it must be a mistake, but sure enough according to the vin its a 305. Theres a c/k series chevy pickup everytime you turn around were i live and i think thats the first one ive ever seen with a 305. I mean even the 2wd 1500s usually either have a v6 or a 350. I read somewhere online that gm put them in only 3% of there c/k series trucks. Maybe someday ill buy a gm 350 crate motor to replace it.:icon_welder: What surprised me even more is that someone had put a nice fifth wheel hitch in the back, i mean what were they expecting to pull with a 5,000 pound truck that has a lawnmower engine in it:icon_rofl:

Last edited:

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ya no shit. I'd rather drive the 4.3 than the 305.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nothing wrong with that truck. The 9.5 axle is good. The tranny is fine. I had that tranny in my '90 with a Banks turbo 6.2 in it. That thing got 16mpg pulling 6,000# all over the place. I think I towed 10,000 miles one year.

Before that I used a truck that looks just like yours except it was an '88. Same color. It had a 350. Not much power, really bad mileage, but otherwise a sturdy truck. The 9.5 axles are still being put in things--like the H2 Hummer and lots of 2500s with utility beds on them.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found my pictures:

This is Feb 2001 when I bought this '91 Ranger for the engine--and ended up keeping it over the '87 Ranger I wanted to use the engine in. The Chevy is the '88 2500 4x4 with the 6-lug 9.5" semi-float and 350/700R4. A very capable truck, but 8mpg towing sort of took the fun out of it.

This is my '90 with the turbocharged diesel. I loved this truck. The 700R4 has a huge overdrive and a turbocharged diesel loves it. I made a trip (no trailer) to Detroit and back and got 26mpg blowing down the road at 75mph. My current truck is the old body style and is wider in the frontal area and has a TH400 without a lockup converter. I have a Gear Vendors but the lack of a lock-up and the square body and worse gearing (for a turbocharged diesel that doesn't need 4.10s) makes my current truck a pig in comparison.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are a nice truck, if it wasn't so hard to find one that didn't have a million miles on it or was beat within an inch of its life I would have got one.

Dad's '92 has been a great truck, pretty snappy too. My cousins '89 shorbox 4x4 with a 4.3 was a pig, and dad's 350 gets way better milage than it could think about getting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals