• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I'm having significant issues with M50D-R1 tranny...

armyowalgreens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've owned my truck since late september, and at first all I noticed wrong with the transmission was a slight chirp from the back of the engine where it meets the tranny at idle. No big deal.

But after I drove into the mountains and back down, I had some bigger problems start.

Now about 30 percent of the time, when I launch from a stop and go to catch first gear, I hear this horrible grinding noise like metal on metal. Just horrible. This happens more often when I am offroad and stuck in sand, or when I'm on an incline. And it doesn't go away until I release the clutch and fully catch 1st gear.

Now back to that chirp. It's gotten much worse. It's like I have a cricket farm under my truck when I'm sitting at red lights. It's humiliating. I noticed that if I bring the RPMs up to about 3000 in nuetral, or while I'm sitting in gear, the chirping goes away.

All of these problems are magnifide in the cold. I live in AZ, so by cold is anything below about 45 degrees. But the problems are still there at any temperature, just not as pronounced.

Can anyone please tell me what the heck is wrong here? I'm on a strict budget and I cannot afford to go digging through and replace everything I think might be causing the problem.

Thanks, Mike.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the metal to metal sound is almost surely your throwout bearing.

the chirping sounds like it could be your trans. input bearing. have you checked the fluid level?

either way you need to pull the trans and be prepared to do a complete clutch job.

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the chirp could also be your throwout bearing. when you push the clutch in does the chirp go away? and like wicked sludge said it does sound like you need to pull your trans out and do a complete clutch job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals