• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 Electric Transfer Case

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a '88 B2 with the electric transfer case. The switch is above the windshield, it isn't in the best condition, but it can be fixed. The problem is I'm not sure if it is working or not. I've checked the power circuits, and everything seems to be ok, but I get no motor movement at the transfer case, no indicator lamps at the switch. At this point would it be easier to just replace the transfer case with a manual one, or try and salvage the electric version?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you can get a switch from the junkyard I would try that first. Might grab a spare shift motor too. Both known problem areas.

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No switches ate the JY, there was one, but it was gone. Ordered a new transfer case motor for $130.00, but I can get a manual case at the local U-Pickit for $80.00. I already found a new shifter assy. so maybe the transfer case swap wouldn't be a bad option. Whatcha' think?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
switch it out ASAP, it's just gonna F up again. and why rely on electronics to shift into 4wd? i have the same thing you do. (i'm guessing you have an eddie bauer?) my t-case currently does not wanna go in 4L0, it'll shift into 4HI just fine tho.

are you planning on gettin manual hubs too?

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The truck is actually a XLT with the optional shi*t on the fly switch. I fixed the switch, but can't seem to get the transfer case to engage. I picked up the shift assy. and will probably get the manual transfer case. I just can't seem to spend the money for a new shift motor, with the track record of the electric shift being so bad. Besides the manual transfer case has already been taken out of the truck at the JY.

NXD 5150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005-1987
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem with my tcase. The problem was rubber bumper was broke off the shift motor gear. It's an easy fix. Just take the 3 screws out that hold the cover plate on and remove it. Then take the big round gear out and check the bumper that is on that gear. If it's gone or is in bad shape replace it. I think I used a peice of air hose.

Most of the wheelin I do is in deep water and it hasn't failed me yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals