• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adjusting Valve lash on 2.8 ---X-mas help

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am installing new new heads and rocker shafts on my ranger and need some advice on setting valve clearance.

It is a 84 2.8l, and my question is how to get the initial set-up on the adjustments. Normally I would set the engine to TDC for the number 1 and then tighten down the intake and exhaust for the number one cylinder and then work my wy around the firing order. The HAYNES manual says to set the engine so the number 5 intake valve is just opening and then adjust the number one cylinder valves and work your way around the firing order using the table.

How the heck do I know when the number 5 intake valve is just starting to open???

Please give me a good Christmas and help me out.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, you can turn the engine over by hand, and watch the #5 rocker, when it starts to move, then that means the intake valve is starting to open.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
rotating the crank w/breaker bar and socket,watch the intake valve stem and rocker,when it just starts to push down you are there.

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SO, do I adjust #1 when #1 is TDC

Thanks for all the help guys, so when #1 goes TDC is that about the same time that #5 intake starts to move? JUst seems so much different than the chevy engines I have rebuilt.

I won't get a chance to turn some wrenches until dinner is over, I can hardly wait....this is my first ranger and I am already in love with it......just wish I had pulled the engine to change the heads....damn it is tight on the passenger side......

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just follow haynes book valve clearance adjustment instructions to the letter,forget tdc and chevy adjustment stuff,block it out.i went thru the adjustment 3 times just to be sure i was dead on accurate.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you put your finger on the rocker, it will be obvious when it starts opening.
Don't forget to re-adjust after a few miles and everything settles in.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
these little trucks are easy to fall in love with and fairly easy to work on.watch out though,the more you do the more you want to do,like an addiction and before you know it,you're hooked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals