• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wtf!??

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i bought a 1986 ford ranger about two weeks ago and was told it ran good and all it needed was a new clutch.Well , i bought a clutch kit , had my flywheel resurfaced , etc and installed it all. Afterwards , i throw a battery on the truck in an attempt to start it and all i get is this pop sound.Ok , so i go make sure the cables have good connection and i know the battery has charge because i charged it all night basically , and i get back in the truck and try'd it again...once again , pop. So i get to thinking , it sounds like it coming from the starter relay thing (thing bolted on the fender basically right beside the batt.)So my dad had a new one and i replaced it. Still only a pop , ended up switching starters as well..STILL pops...wtf could it be? anyone have any ideas? Oh yes..the motor is a 2.3 out of an '89 mustang..lol

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where is the battery ground cable bolted? Check that.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
get a socket and breaker bar on the dampener pulley bolt and see if the motor will turn over. its possible you have a seized motor on your hands.

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
get a socket and breaker bar on the dampener pulley bolt and see if the motor will turn over. its possible you have a seized motor on your hands.
The motor does turn over. I made sure to check that before i put the tranny back in. After i bolted up the flywheel i grabed it and gave it a few turns , feels good.

alittlelow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With the key forward, put it in neutral with the emergency brake on and touch the two posts of the solenoid together with an insulated screwdriver. If it turns over then your problem is a clutch safety switch on the clutch rod on the inside of the cab, the ignition switch on the steering column, or the intertia switch under the passenger side dash on the firewall. If it doesn't turn over, try running a new ground from the frame to the motor and the frame to the body (firewall). If that doesn't work, run a 4 gauge hot wire from the battery to the starter, and from the battery to the solenoid (the side that goes to the distribution box). Best of luck sonny.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
or the intertia switch under the passenger side dash on the firewall.
The crash switch will not prevent the engine from cranking over, it only prevents the fuel pump from turning on. Otherwise, some good suggestions.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also, you need the ground on the engine, not the frame. Automobile starters are as close to a dead short as you can get with an electrical device. They need a good solid ground to work properly, and they are connected to the engine, not the frame. Alternative would be to run a solid ground from the engine to the frame. shady

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With the key forward, put it in neutral with the emergency brake on and touch the two posts of the solenoid together with an insulated screwdriver. If it turns over then your problem is a clutch safety switch on the clutch rod on the inside of the cab, the ignition switch on the steering column, or the intertia switch under the passenger side dash on the firewall. If it doesn't turn over, try running a new ground from the frame to the motor and the frame to the body (firewall). If that doesn't work, run a 4 gauge hot wire from the battery to the starter, and from the battery to the solenoid (the side that goes to the distribution box). Best of luck sonny.
I tried the whole screwdriver thing and still i get the same "pop" noise.

But i will deffinatly try what else you said..thanks a million

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also, you need the ground on the engine, not the frame. Automobile starters are as close to a dead short as you can get with an electrical device. They need a good solid ground to work properly, and they are connected to the engine, not the frame. Alternative would be to run a solid ground from the engine to the frame. shady
Well see the ground wire that runs to the relay thing was bolted (not tightly) to a hole in the frame right beside my exhaust manifold.I didnt think it was supposed to go there.Also the wire is basically 40% naked and in bad shape it seems like. I dont know if that matters , just saying..Its getting really annoying.Thats the only thing left to do then i can drive it.

84Ranger4X4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 and 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My ground wire is bolted to one of the starter bolts on my 87 Ranger 2.3. Hell it looks just like your truck in the picture. lol

ToyTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where is the popping noise coming from? If its coming from the starter, it sounds like you just have a bad starter. If that noise is coming from the starter solenoid, well...there you go.

As far as the grounding issue...I'd make sure that there is a really good ground between the engine block and the negative terminal on the battery. Shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so don't make the current have to travel any farther than absolutely necessary. If it was me, I'd run a strand of 4ga welding lead, with ring terminals of course, from one of the mounting bolts on the starter up to the negative terminal on the battery.You just won't get a better ground path than that.

My money is on a dead starter probably brought on by a few years of abuse behind a poor ground.

84Ranger4X4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 and 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.3
Transmission
Manual
He said he changed the relay and the starter already. Get a new ground cable and run it down to the starter bolt. Also check the cable running from your starter relay down to the starter.

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well see the ground wire that runs to the relay thing was bolted (not tightly) to a hole in the frame right beside my exhaust manifold.I didnt think it was supposed to go there.Also the wire is basically 40% naked and in bad shape it seems like. I dont know if that matters , just saying..Its getting really annoying.Thats the only thing left to do then i can drive it.
NONE OF THE WIRES FROM THE FENDER RELAY ARE GROUND WIRES. The battery ground cable goes directly to the engine from the battery ground post.

The wires to the relay are battery positive. One side of the relay will be from the battery, and the cable on the other side of the relay will go to the starter terminal. Wiring that supplies the truck electrical system will be on the battery cable side of the relay.

The relay usually uses the mounting bolt as a ground for the relay coil. Make sure the mounting bolt for the relay is tight.

If the cables are frayed and worn, replace them.

If the cable from the relay is touching ground, it will pop, loudly, when you turn on the key as it is a direct short. shady

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
had the same problem with mine till i ran a ground from the relay bracket to frame where everythings grounded .....problem solved.
i used undercoating on the inner fender and was not getting ground at the mounting point of the relay bracket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals