• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the deal with Mazda extended cabs??

lindsay_elaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My fiance and I saw a 94-97 x-cab B series without the weird window trim treatment that the Mazdas got (in other words, it looked very ranger-like) Later on we saw a newer Mazda with the same "no window trim" deal going on. We also saw x-cabs of both body styles WITH the Mazda window trim. Both trimless trucks were spotted in Canada, just wondering if anybody knows what the deal is :icon_confused:

We might have assumed that the first older truck we saw was a Ranger with a Mazda front end and bed added on, but the Mazda paint color matched the cab and we ended up seeing more than one without the trim... I don't get it

Nater

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Mine is like the one in the bottom pic..

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Um, weird, maybe in canada they simplified the Mazda treatment into just a grill swap. As I recall almost all the mazda's have the slight flareside treatment in the bed...

lindsay_elaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right, that's the '97 up style, but I've seen that style with the weird window trim both in Canada and the US

The 94-97's have different bowed out fenders and bed sides, and more squareish wheel arches (we have my '03 Ranger and a '94 B2300, they are totally different except for the cabs... well, the '94 is 3" shorter, but the doors are the same!)

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You know both Nater and Airmaster have 2doors I am assuming? and the one without the trim was also 2door. i think it may better distinguish the difference between 2 door and 4 door mazdas.

the 4 door ones I think have the trim.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
But the very first picture posted would be essentially a 3rd gen Ranger, and it has the window trim. And third gen Rangers didn't have four doors.

I bet it has something to do with what would be considered the Mazda "XLT" version of the truck. Note the chrome bumpers/mirrors/grille insert. I had two Explorers, one XL and one XLT. The XL had color matching "D" pillars on the hatch, whereas the XLT had black "D" pillars. That's where I derive my whole logic behind the Mazda window trim.

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic
The LE's in the states have the window trim...........like mine

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
What does LE mean? With reference to the Ford labeling... is that like Custom, XL, or XLT? Or Sport?

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic
Se is like XL and LE is like XLT i guess LOL

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
I saw a square body B-series 4x4 with IFS the other day I'm not sure what the heck is going on with those things.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
toyota did the same thing with trim options, they have a base, deluxe and the sr5 model... the base came with a black grill, no a/c... the deluxe had a chrome grill, a/c and cruise... and the sr5 had a tach and other premium options. i had an 89 base extra cab and my buddy had an 89 deluxe extra cab and the ONLY difference was i had a tilt wheel and intermittant wipers, he had a/c and cruise control and the chrome grill... mine was flat black

lindsay_elaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess I'll have to start paying closer attention to trim badging on these things... I always notice stuff like this and here I've gone since 1993 thinking that all Mazdas had fugly window trim (okay, I was only 7 in 1993 but I've thought this for at least 10 years!)

btw, where is the trim level badge located on a Mazda?? Tailgate? Our 94 is just a regular cab and all it says is B2300 on the fenders and Mazda on the gate. It has a 5 speed, vinyl bench, no headliner, rubber floor, crank windows, and no power steering (from the factory, it's not broken)

B3000SE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Funny,Never thought of looking into it,I have a B3000 SE Cab Plus that looks just like rockwerks only stock,I saw a Mazda This morning that looked like a Ranger Around the windows without the funky window trim,Its gotta be certain years and or trim levels,Mine is an SE but has Manual Everything inside,cloth Buckets and The window Trim.... I will do some research......

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
they definately look better without the wierd window trim though, just my opinion..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals