• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do I remove center leaf spring bolt??

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
Hi, I am starting the Explorer leaf spring swap on my 1990 Ford Bronco II. I reviewed the tech. page on it and it says to flip the center bolt on the Explorer springs. I put a 9/16 socket on the bolt and turned it. The entire bolt turned inside the leaf spring. My problem is that the other side of the bolt is circular. How am I supposed to loosen it? Vice grips don't work. I am stuck! Help!

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I would have to say cut the bolt off with a grinder and punch it out. Just make sure the leaf pack is clamped together so it doesn't come apart. Replace it with a grade 8 bolt.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Air guns pop that kinda stuff right off you could try a pipe wrench but if your going to ruin it anyway grinding would be easier.That is its own bolt buy one at the parts house.Preferably before you grind it so you know you can get a replacement before you ruin it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Vice grips have always done the trick for me...

Cutting the head off and punching it through would be the easiest way.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'll usually put a set of vice grips or a small pipe wrench on the round side and try removing the nut. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't come easy, I've resorted to other methods. I've used an angle grinder to put a slit in the nut and bolt (careful not to hit the springs) then taken a Craftsman flat screwdriver and beat the nut apart. I've also used a nut splitter to accomplish the same thing. And I've also taken a cold chisel and a BFH (Big Frickin Hammer) and whacked the nut off.

Do be careful, the spring will actually spring apart once that center bolt is removed. I've replaced them with grade 8 bolts before (you have to use a large C-clamp to pull the pack together again) or you can get a centering bolt from a spring shop. If you use a grade 8 you may have to either round the head of the bolt or slightly enlarge the hole on your spring pad on the axle.

While you got the pack apart, you might want to think of replacing the wear pads on the ends of the leafs. Any good spring shop should be able to provide replacements cheap. It'll keep the springs from squeaking.

marcehboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Wiz wheel cut the nut end off. Make sure the spring pack is clamped. Go to the parts store and buy new center bolts. Would stay away for normal grade 8s because thats not what they were designed for, they sell center bolts be safe and do it right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals