• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD OD Issue with Lights on..

foss40z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have a strange thing happening.. Ok here it goes LOL...

With the lights off my truck shifts fine into all gears including overdrive. I have a 1994 A4LD from a ranger in my bronco 2. Well when i turn on the lights to drive at night the torque converter will not lock into the OD gear. It stays in the slipped OD mode. (this is where it gets tricky) When I flip on the left turn signal the torque converter locks into OD ..

Also with the lights on driving i turn on the left turn signal not only does the Torque converter lock, but the left tail light goes out all together.. Well I have been seeing more and more issues with electrical. I recently upgraded to a gel battery and i went to use the right turn signal and it does not blink anymore and the light on the panel stays solid and does not click and blink. When i also swapped out the battery when i drive on the freeway at night with lights on it will no longer lock the torque converter into OD anymore, even if i turn on the left turn signal..

Im stumped and scratching my head.. Where might all the ground wires be? Could this also be caused by a faulty relay or relay going bad? and if so what relay . Also at night with lights on i am driving and the lights flicker on and off, i can manually turn them off and back on and they will stay on. I do not hit bumps or anything and out of the blue they have a mind of there own...

Please Help

budro

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Check your rear bulbs and wiring to the taillights. I had a similar issue where cruising along if i turned on the turn signal it would kick out of overdrive. Ended up being a bad wire where the taillights pigtail plugs into the main harness under the tailgate.

ranger306ci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
check out in the haynes manual where all your symptoms come together, that is where your problem is. If your lights stay on, that is usually a hot short (one +12v wire feeding another), or the headlight switch needs to be cleaned/replaced.
Did you happen to unplug any harness plugs lately? What is the last thing you did before the electrical went to heck.
I do believe od lockup on the ranger is a +12v to an internal solenoid, so somehow your left turnsignal is feeding that. And it is doing it in series with the rear left signal, which is why that light goes out when you turn the signal on. all the power goes to the solenoid, and none to that turn signal.

Last edited:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I put a 93 dash in my B2 the turn signal lights would gave me weird problems.Finally found that the ground for the turn signal wipers and radio are under the dash on the drivers side.Look for a black wire about 10 gauge above the parking brake screwed to the firewall because it sounds like a ground problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals