• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Remote Radio control Steering Column swap

rickrmf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,
I just got through fighting a check engine light problem, after swapping an Explorer gauge cluster in to my 96 Mazda B4000. I have been toying with the idea of putting in a steering column, with radio controls on it. I'm thinking that one from a 98 Ranger would work. I know there would be wiring to be added,
but that's not a big deal. The Ford dual media radio I installed has this option, and I've added quite a bit of equipment to this vehicle that amazes even the guys at my local Ford dealer. My question is, has anybody out there done this. If the column will bolt up, I can make the wiring changes.
The Explorer cluster looks and works great. The one thing I'm still working on is making the "speed control" indicator light come on when you engage the cruise control. I need to find the wire in the cruise circuit that goes to ground when the "set", or "resume" button is pressed.
Any help on either of these issues would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rickrmf

idigchoppers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Curious about your check engine light problem. Did you have to re-pin some wires?
Reason for asking: I am going to be replacing the cluster in my 97 Ranger with one out of a 2001 Ranger. From everything I can read, I will encounter the same problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals