• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grrrr Wheel bearings

booblinker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 Ranger 4x4 dana 35. My front wheel bearings keep coming loose, the locknut is coming loose.. I have tightened them like 5 times. I just want to make sure i am doing it correctly. I am putting the thick nut on first, finger tight plus a little, then the washer with a bunch of holes in it, then the think nut really tight. I think this is correct, but my inner(thicker) spindle nut does not have a nipple for the washer to lock onto which i was told it should have it. Pictures would be awesome.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you're doing it right for the most part. The inner nut should have a peg on it to retain the washer and the washer should have a tab the rides in the groove on the spindle. Also, the outer nut needs to be torqued to something like 150 ft-lbs. That's usually my least favorite part because of the high knuckle buster factor associated with that special socket..

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yes, with a missing or damaged nipple, it can slip and come loose.

Find a new locknut for it and then tighten the outer nut to 225ft-lbs or so. Should fix it.

(click for bigger)

Last edited:

booblinker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright sweet, its just broke, not me being stupid.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You can repair the lock nut by pounding the broken pin through and using a needle bearing from a u joint to replace it.

michowski

Reaction score
Tighten the first nut to 20-25ft pounds. Install the washer and then install the outer nut. Tighten that as tight as you can get it. I bought the socket for mine and once I get to 50ft pounds it always wants to slip off no matter what I do. I just kept it level and tightened it as hard as I could. I did notice I was above 180ft pounds when I looked at the guage. So far a few weeks with it and nothing has come lose.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i used my 1/2" impact gun on my outers last time i had the rotors off....seems to have done the trick.

the time before that i installed the inners, cleaned the spindle threads really well and installed the outers with lock-tight.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Tighten the first nut to 20-25ft pounds. Install the washer and then install the outer nut. Tighten that as tight as you can get it. I bought the socket for mine and once I get to 50ft pounds it always wants to slip off no matter what I do. I just kept it level and tightened it as hard as I could. I did notice I was above 180ft pounds when I looked at the guage. So far a few weeks with it and nothing has come lose.
Did you mean 20-25 INCH-lbs? 25 ft-lbs on the inner nut will lead to them burning up.

You should do the inner nut to 35 ft-lbs while spinning the rotor to seat the bearings, then BACK it off ½ turn, then retighten it to 15 INCH-lbs (snug it by hand using the socket).
Put the washer & outer nut on and tighten to 225ft-lbs.
(if your socket wants to slip off, find one that goes AROUND the nut instead of the type with 4 prongs that stick off the end)

michowski

Reaction score
No I actually put mine to foot pounds. I guess I didnt read the directions well enough. Oops. Its actually not that tight tho. I can take the studs and spin the rotors and everything with ease. I can put the wheel on and spin it and it will spin for a few seconds fine. I also got 31" tires so they said to tighten them a little more if you got bigger tires. Il take em apart and retorque the inner to inch pounds instead of foot.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I've found that it's usually a good idea to get that outer locknut as tight as possible. I put a jack under the socket so it doesn't slip off, and then jump up and down on the breaker bar.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can repair the lock nut by pounding the broken pin through and using a needle bearing from a u joint to replace it.
funny you bring that up, i had that EXACT idea when i found mine to be broken a few weeks ago...

i thought i was pretty slick when i fixed it with a u joint needle, but apparently its common knowledge, or we're both just geniuses! :icon_cheers:

i used my 1/2" impact gun on my outers last time i had the rotors off....seems to have done the trick.
i also started doing that, i can never get it any tighter with my breaker bar, after i use the impact...

i used to just i max out my tq wrench to like 150, then get it to click, then get the breaker bar out and i could barely go anymore.. so i figure the impact is enough.

Last edited:

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah 25 ft lbs is way too tight.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
(if your socket wants to slip off, find one that goes AROUND the nut instead of the type with 4 prongs that stick off the end)
i'll have to weld a collar around mine and see if it helps.do you remember who sells the enclosed socket just in case?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Princess auto has them, or harbor freight in your case, :icon_cheers: .

-andrew

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals