• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mystery Noise

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some input from my fellow 3.0ers.

The truck is my truck in my sig. Starting about 3 weeks ago, anytime I get my engine above about 2000/2100 rpm, it starts howling/whirring and gets worse as the RPMs go up. Can't be the exhaust since it does not make any noise at idle, and I've smoke tested the engine and found the egr vavle and IAC valve to be leaking. Both were replaced, and the high pitch of the sound went away. However, the majority of the howling is still there, and it emanates from the front of the engine.

I then thought it was the pilot bearing, but even with the clutch depressed it makes the noise. Using my stethiscope, I've tracked down bearing howling in the power steering pump and to a lesser extent the alternator. As such, I'm leaning towards my power steering pump due to the fact that it has been getting weaker and my steering has been getting harder to turn. No leaks in PS system, and fluid is at proper level.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated, especially anything I may have missed. It's quite loud and obnoxious, so I'd like to figure it out as soon as possible.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like youve already got it narrowed down. if you'd like....with the motor cold, take your serp. belt off and see if the noise is still there. this will at least affirm that its a belt driven accessory making the racket.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like youve already got it narrowed down. if you'd like....with the motor cold, take your serp. belt off and see if the noise is still there. this will at least affirm that its a belt driven accessory making the racket.
Wow, I didn't even think of that. Thanks man, that'll definitely tell me if its an accessory making the noise. I'll post up my findings, and what I hope to be a solution.

Thanks again wicked.

Silverado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My PS pump howls full time. It's annoying to say the least. I suppose I'll replace it at some point; the steering works fine though, just a noisy, tired pump.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I got it all fixed up.

Turns out my water pump was going, and the fan clutch was completely frozen up. That would explain the horrible noise. Also, the new fan clutch came with a bigger wrench size, and I was able to use my Ford 4.6 fan clutch tool to put it on. Pretty nice.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
glad you got it all fixed up :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals