• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 in place of a 2.9

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2300 out of a about 80 pinto. i also have a 85 boronco II witha blown motor. my question is will the 2300 bolt the 2.9 auto trans. I am sure i will have to make mounts but that is not a big deal. thanks rough

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
In short, no, the 2.3 will not bolt to a 2.9's automatic transmission. It would have to be changed as well.

You'd also have to convert the fuel system to low pressure, which, if you have a 2 pump system is easy. You just remove the high pressure pump and run a line from the low presure pump in the tank to the carb.

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
will any other motors bolt to this trans? i have it in the bronco still and am just wanting to make a mud truck out of it! thanks rough

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The trans has a removable bell housing, You would need the bell housing, torque converter, and flywheel for a 2300/a4ld. Any cologne engine will bolt to the trans but, the 4.0 would kill the trans pretty fast. The Pinto 2300 has the same mount locations as a Ranger 2.0, 2.3, 2.5. All the parts are available to bolt it in. The Radiator is different as well. The necks are opposite.
If you want to make a mud truck you should go to a 302. The BII weighs a lot for a 2300 in the mud.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
I keep forgetting that A4LD's have removeable bellhousings.

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
can you tell me what motors will bolt to this trans! it doesnt matter size or mount type. thanks rough

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As I said any cologne engine. That's 2.6,2.8,2.9,4.0. as far as a motor that will bolt to that trans and work, you are better off sticking to a 2.9. As far as building a mud toy goes, you are better off going to a 302 (or bigger) and replacing the trans.
The 2.3 has the parts availability to make more h.p. and t.q. than is capable from a 2.9 the problem is that with a lot of weight the 2.3 has crank problems, especially the old large journals. ('89 up Ranger is small journal).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals