• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 44 question

madmax401

Reaction score
i just bought another d44 solid axle that was under a mid 80's f150 step side and need to know if it was for that truck or did it come from something else. the numbers on this high pinion is ( 44-7f ) c33835 5 lug -drum brake-coil spring- king pin. paid 150 for it and i got everything with it when he cut the frame before the radius arms ( giving me double shock mounts-coils and steering box.
I want to make it an 8 lug to match my 14 bolt rear. will any of my 10 bolt chevy ball joint disc brake stuff work? i also have a 68 f250 closed knuckle d44 8 lug - drum brake- the 10 bolt im gonna toss it if i cant use it ....after all nobdy wanted it for a hundred or Obo w/410's ,so i dont mind heaving it .

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
those years of f150s had the TTB front end so it must have been from something else.

madmax401

Reaction score
d44

I wrote to "mr. n" and described to him what i have. everything looks exactly whats under my buddie's 79 bronco . his bronco came stock with a hp d44. I'm sure mr.n will know exactly what it is when he looks up the numbers i found on it.
asside from that ....i'm still putting it under the ranger. my first problem is the radius arms connected to the 44 are long. i measured stuff out yesterday and they would mount to the frame about 2 inches past where my trans crossmember is. now what ? will i need drop brackets so they dont hit each other ? today im going to finish removing the d28 and line up the d44 ....try to center it up the best i can. it has double shock mounts and 3 steering stabilizers. :icon_pepsi:

those years of f150s had the TTB front end so it must have been from something else.

madmax401

Reaction score
I figured it out

I figured it out last night after reading one of mr n's articles about disc brake swaps on a d44. i had a 10 bolt chevy front laying around that nobody wanted to buy ,not even for free - i just couldnt give away:idiot: , so rather than scraping it.......i decided to tear the whole thing down to see what would fit the ford d44 and what would not. when i removed the spindle and everything........they started looking like the same six bolt patern that was holding my drum break backing plate to the d44. at this point i'm thinking - what the hell do i have to lose besides time. well the gamble paid off,:icon_thumby: everything from the chevy 10 bolt fit like it was factory ford stuff. even the warn premium hubs from the chevy 10 bolt were the same spline as the ford d44. i have 1 side almost done but the caliper needs rebuilt. i'll take pix of the other side and post them when im finnished. could this be good enough for the tech library ? or is it already in there and i havent found it ?:tease:

Punisher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Bronco II,
Transmission
Automatic
That is an early 70's axle, pre 1976, I beleive some 75's had disks but anything before that was drums.

madmax401

Reaction score
im trying to pinpoint the exact year and model of this 44 so i never have a problem getting the right parts for it.
That is an early 70's axle, pre 1976, I beleive some 75's had disks but anything before that was drums.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You need to find the BOM on the longside axle tube.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
they dont "forget" I had a hell of a time finding the BOM on my dana 70. Its there just need to break out the wirewheel on it.

madmax401

Reaction score
im gonna check it again as soon as i get another wire wheel. that doing it by hand shit sucks. thanx man:)

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
it's not on there. i think ford forgot to stamp this one.
btw, ford doesnt make dana axles. the dana spicer company makes dana axles and puts the Bill Of Materials number on it and then sends it to who ever is buying it.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Post up some pics so we can see it. Actually, I need pics of ANY 4x4 front axle that was under ANY Ford pickup before 1979. Especially the F250's and earlier F100/150's.

If it has drums and a king pin with only (5) lugs, it's got to be a 1966-1970 with 5-260 u-joints and a 2.75" x 1/2" axle tubes. Is it open or closed knuckle?

Somewhere on the axle tube is a BOM number. If you can find the BOM number I can tell you what it came from. They're 6-digits and start with a 6 (or atleast all the ones I know of).

madmax401

Reaction score
these are the only pix that i have for this 68 f250 lp d44. i couldnt find the bom on the long tube, but i did find (9173a525) on the short side. there were'nt any numbers starting with a 60......
does this number help ?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I decided to go with a coil sprung d44 instead. anyone interested in this 44 cheap ?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals