• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radio doesnt work after fuse taken out. . .

calflipdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hi all im new to the forum and to ford rangers. i have a 1965 mustang so i normally dont worry about anything too electrical, until my uncle gave me his 1995 ford ranger xl. this truck is super clean. .! anyways, like the title says, i took a fuse out of the panel while the radio was on. that killed the radio. i put the fuse back in, but nothing. the clock however, still works. odd? its a stock radio, most would probably say just get a new radio, but im a poor college student with $45 to my name. how do i fix this? any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
um, did you turn the radio back on?

calflipdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
uh yes, i turned it on the knob does nothing. its been a week or two. i unhooked the negative battery terminal and hooked it up again, fiddled with the knobs. nothing.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Look for a "reset" button, about the size of a paper clip. I dont know if it has one but worth taking a look. Just a suggestion. Good Luck

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The fuse didn't happen to blow when you put it back in did it? Try swapping with another fuse of the same amperage with the truck turned off.

calflipdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
im pretty sure the fuse didnt blow, i took a look at it and it was intact. i did change it just in case. if theres a reset button, where would it be?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure if the stock radios have a reset button. If they did, it would be on the back somewhere. There are internal fuses in the radio, but I can't see you blowing one of those by just unplugging it.... Are there any other fuses associated with the radio? This ones got me stumped. Oh, I didn't mean to sound like a dick when I asked if you tried to turn it on. Last time I disconnected the battery on my truck, I had to turn the radio back on when I reconnected the battery. I figured it'd be the same here. This one's got me stumped. Got any friends with the same radio? You could try a swap and see if it works.

calflipdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
no no worries dude, that stuff happens sometimes. its always a good idea to suggest the easy first. sometimes we forget stuff. i read the Haynes book i bought after i took the fuse out and it says that if you take a fuse out while an accesory is in use, it could damage it. any ideas? also, i spoke with my friend who has a 99 ranger and she says she has those tools that are needed to take the radio out. theyre only $6, but hey thats $6 i could spend on something else. . . like my stang hahaha.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have sucessfully used clothes hangers bent into a u-shape before. Not as easy as the real thing, but they can do the job. Maybe she'll lend you a radio to if the plug-in is the same...

calflipdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok so i used the clothes hangers, worked like a charm. the only problem is, there is no reset button. i unplugged everything and plugged it back in again, and still nothing. if only i hadnt played around with the fuses, i wouldnt be having this problem. i know stock radios are crap (and this doesnt even have a cd player) but i figured i could use the tape deck to play my mp3 player, which i wouldnt be able to do with a cd player. . .who uses cds ? thanks for the help guys, keep it coming!

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The radio has 2 fuses, one is in the "switched" 12V going to the radio, and there is also a fuse in the "unswitched" 12V line going to the radio. Check the other fuse.

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Start hitting the wire plugs with a test light. And see what you come up with. I am sure that someone on here can tell you which ones should be hot.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Look in the fuse's socket and see if you pushed one of the terminals back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals