• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

changing front differential fluid in 2005 sport trac?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i used the search function as well as searched google and yahoo, but still havent found an answer on this question. my girl friend has an 05 explorer sport trac and this past weeked i did a full fluid change on the engine oil, transfer case, transmission (new filter also), and rear differential. i got fluid for the front diff as well, but when i got underneath of it to change itl i couldnt figure out how you are supposed to drain the thing. theres barely enough room to get the cover loose to drain it, let alone scrape the silicone and gasket off and then apply silicone to it and get it to seal back up. is there a way to do it without removing the front D shaft and then removing the hub bearings and cv shafts so that the axle housing can be removed and a thorough job can be done? i know i could use a suction gun to get the majority of it out, but that doesnt seem like the right way to do it so im asking for help from other who have done this.:icon_confused:

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
suction or you have to drop the axle

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i thought some fords had lifetime differential fluid in them. i'm pretty that's what it said about the 8.8 in my explorer. of course, if you take your rig off-road i'd change it reguarly.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I think some do. Not to mention that diff fluid will last pretty long anyway if the diff doesn't grenade.

I just replaced the original fluid in my 7.5 a few months ago, it had about 186K on it. Looked good, the fluid and the diff.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Drop the diff or drill and tap a drain plug in the bottom of the aluminum housing.

I did the second option.

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
i thought some fords had lifetime differential fluid in them. i'm pretty that's what it said about the 8.8 in my explorer. of course, if you take your rig off-road i'd change it reguarly.
Mostly it is only the rear that has 75W140 synthetic gear lube...the front is (check your owners manual) still good old 80W90 dino oil 160,000 kilometer interval.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i read in the manual that the 8.8 with track lock takes 75w140 and is good for the lifetime of the truck, but i changed it anyways because there is no such thing as a lifetime lubricant (the stuff was already cloudy and black and took quite a bit of brake cleaner to get the film off from everything), especially when i regularly tow my boat, go two tracking, and still manage to get 200k+ miles out of my trucks.
thanks for all the responses guys, it looks like ill be dropping the axle and drilling my own drain hole. all of my drivetrain components get flushed every 50,000 miles regardless of the maunfacturers recommended intervals. so what are the steps in removing this axle (im more familiar with the TTB suspensions than the IFS)? do i need to remove the brakes, hub bearings, cv shafts, drive shaft, and then axle housing.........or can i just remove the drive shaft and then the axle housing bolts that secure it to the frame and pull it back towards the tcase to gain enough clearance to remove the cover? also where is the best spot to put the drain plug, through the bottome side of the aluminum housing or in the bottom of the front cover?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The bottom of the aluminum housing is the best spot.

Take off the brake calipers and brackets, undo the lower balljoints remove the stud from the knuckles, swing the knuckles out and use a pry bar to pop the CV's out of the diff (held in with little snap clips). Remove the front drive shaft, then you will have 3 bolts holding the diff housing to the truck.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks alot sasquatch_ryda, i figured id have to go all the way, as in no short cuts, but thats ok ill just set aside a full day for garage time and get this sucker knocked out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals