• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water Pump/B2 Running Hot

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i have an 85 B2, this little shit is causing me troubles. When i got it it ran fine but not well. I started having problems with it running very hot according to the factory temp gauge. It was leaking coolant as well. Well i flushed the radiator, replaced the t-stat and fixed the leaking problem. But it still runs very hot.

So my question is, how can i tell if my water pump is going out?

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That is hard to tell. Do you have water in your oil? You can tell if there is water in your oil if you see "milky" or any white foam on your dipstick. How does the coolant look? You could have a head gasket leak or cracked heads. If all of that is good and your radiator is flushed then it is probably your water pump. I have a used one that is in perfect condition if you want to get one for cheap.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well i have no milky oil, i am pretty sure i dont have a head gasket leak or cracked heads but not completely sure. I just drained my coolant to replace the lower hose which turned out to be fine, the coolant was the same color coming out as it was going in.

So i looks i will be replacing the water pump, and prolly at the same time swapping in a 4l radiator.

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The radiator found on those trucks are plenty. I am swapping in a 4.0L and am using my current 2.8L radiator. The thing that may help with the rad. swap is the current one is plugged.

extremeema

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i am the only one with radiator runs cold.

jackofroses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
is the rad full of dirt or grease, or are the fins crushed? sometimes taking it out and pressure washing it can help.

you can check for circulation , by removing the therm , and starting the truck cold with the rad cap off. you should be able to see it flow once it begins to warm up. make sure you shut it down before it boils over... are you losing coolant? you might just have a bad cap. ... is the weep hole on the pump weeping?bad sign.
another trick you might try is to stuff a white paper towel up behind the fan from beneath the pump, then from the top down , douse the pump with wd40. if the stain on the towel turns rusty , you have a bad bearing in your pump.

if nothing is wrong , and its still too hot for your taste , you may try adding an electric fan. hope you get to the bottom of this soon

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
water pumps are under 50 bucks, just replace it and call it good.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
water pumps are under 50 bucks, just replace it and call it good.
Thats what i thought, i am not going to drain the coolant again without replacing it and the rad.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals