• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new user with issues has a new (to him) rbv that has issues

jackofroses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hi .... first time here (sorry)
just bought a 89 broncoII (2.9 EFI, 5spd )

so very just that i dont even have it here yet.

of course it has its probs , or i wouldnt have bought it.

it seems most of the paint has fallen off... its not rotted ,
the paint just fell off... i was wondrin' if there was a stopcat to the lifting i know will occur when i repaint it....or should it just all be sanded off from the get go.... i dont need pretty paint , but some paint would be a plus.

that brings me to the doors (in very good shape) but the power windows have very little power..( i HATE POWER WINDOWS ).... i want to find some doors that have crank up windows (how old can i go?)

im told that one of the injectors is bad ... but im gonna let someone smarter than me mess with that.....

the other main mechanical issue is that (i and the bronco live in a very rural mountainous area) 5th gear seems to have disappeared. im guessing that since there being no proper use for fifth gear for 50 miles in any direction , the previous owners have rounded off the synchro , trying to use it anyways. dunno. i'll burn that bridge when i get to it.

stock suspension , but i was kinda thinkin of getting a tiny suspension lift down the road... perhaps whack a few things to fit 31s under it...i guess the price range will tell that tale... i want articulation more than elevation

im prolly gonna keep the wheels it has with street tires (i have 4 brand new 205's)... and get some steel wagon wheels ..... what should i look under...fords and jeeps , are all i know of.... whats the biggest rubber i can stuff under it as is without wrecking anything.

not my first barbeque , but my first broncoII ...ive built and run several toyotas , jeeps and samurais , and a full sized bronco.

my first ranger was a 67.... yeah, you read that right... it was huge.had a straight 280 or somesuch white elephant...(i think of that rat a LOT)

best ranger was a short 4cyl 5spd 2wd '85 it was ten feet tall and bulletproof.

made me want a bronco II and i finally got one ......
oh yeah , glad to be here =]

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Welcome to TRS, where between the lot of us, we know EVERYTHING.

Sand all the paint off and start over

any door from 83 to 93 should bolt on to you truck, no problem

to find a bad injector, start the truck and pull injector plugs (re-connecting them after) until you find one that doesn't make it run worse

I can't see a synchro getting rounded off if you aren't speed shifting, but the gear may still be damaged. Does it go in and then not go anywhere, or does it just not go in.

a good 2 or 3 inch suspension lift should get 31's under there easy and not break the bank, depending on how big the bank is or course

Jeep rims will fit her. There is a whole article in the tech library about what wheels will fit. Some guys say 31s slide right in, some say you gotta trim to make it work. The biggest factor we've been able to figure that makes the difference is the health of the springs.

jackofroses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
cool ... thanks fer the welcome =]

i was afraid id have to sand everything off (once had a nightmare experience repainting an 86 f150)

cool , on the doors , too. if they look like they fit , they do.

tranny; no bumps , thumps or grind, no pop outs or pop ups , it just wont slide in.

for all i know at this point the lever is hitting the floorboard .

ok , so im gonna look for some punchy junkyard 31x10.5's , put them on some stocker steel wheels , get a big shoehorn ,and see what happens...

yup , i just read the lifting tips threads and saw a few ideas im prolly gonna try.
not right as yet , though , as i have new 205's and some (a lot of) bodywork to do.

i might just buy new 2"+ fronts and restack the rears myself... not gonna sweat about that yet tho.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If that fifth gear dos'nt feel like its there take out the shifter.Make sure the three rails line up and shift them with a screwdriver to make sure they slide ok.If your not to sure about how it works just study it and you'll see whats going on.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If that fifth gear dos'nt feel like its there take out the shifter.Make sure the three rails line up and shift them with a screwdriver to make sure they slide ok.If your not to sure about how it works just study it and you'll see whats going on.
That would be a good idea except....

In the M5OD OD and R share a shift rail. If the OD gear isn't engaging because of a rail problem he probably wouldn't have reverse either.

jackofroses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok....first of all , im not really very good at waiting. i have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest to get the thing home... wah...

first thing first :
5w30 synthetic oil and motorcraft filter.
motorcraft plugs - 8 mm wires ... rotor and cap.
check the tranny for grindings...

then i'll see whats whats what from there. i'll prolly
dig down to the top of the tranny anyways...(seems i remember a worn out plastic ball somewhere in the dim and distant past.)
ive also seen shifters hitting the floorboards/boot/access panels before... could be anything....
thanks for the ideas folks , its always best to start off in the right direction

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That would be a good idea except....

In the M5OD OD and R share a shift rail. If the OD gear isn't engaging because of a rail problem he probably wouldn't have reverse either.
He probably doesn't have the M5OD since its a 89.
Look at the trans code on the door and look it up in the tech section.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
99% sure he has an FM146.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
hmm, for some reason I was thinking the M5 was introed in 89. If it is an 146 then yeah, trail could very well be right. The FMs and the M5 are totally different beasts.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
AD told me they came in 90's with a build date after 9/89. If I have misqouted him, I apologize in advance. That's why I said check the code on the door. That'll tell for sure.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I get confused because geometrically they are more or less the same, and the shifters look the same, but that post 9/89 sounds familiar.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals