• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer gauge cluster swap

rickrmf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,
I put a 98 Explorer gauge cluster in my 96 Mazda B4000. I have just one problem left to solve. The coolant temp gauge goes all the way up to redline, but I know the truck is not overheating. All the other gauges, and warning lights work fine. I checked in to this and have been told the sender for the Explorer has a two wire connection, as opposed to one one the Mazda or Ranger. If I get the connector and sender from the Explorer, how should I wire it? That is which of the two wires should I connect to the truck wiring? The other possable cause could be, when I was cleaning the cluster out before I installed it, I bumped the needles around a little. Could it be that I need to reset the position of the needle? Any help on this would be appreciated!
Thanks, Rick

68Ranger390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
if you have a direct ground on the wire going to the guage from the sending unit the guage should go max, which means the guage is working correctly.
on a 2 wire sending unit try connecting 1 terminal to a ground and the other to the guage, if the guage max's out, reverse the wires,

rickrmf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks 68ranger,
I'll try that tonight if I can get the sender and connector. I was noticing that after driving, and the gauge was maxed out, it stayed that way even after shutting the truck off. I pulled the wire off my sender, and it went down all the way. I did not think to ground it, to see if it worked like you say. I forgot to mention that, when I looked at a wiring diagram in a manual, that both the Explorer and the Ranger diagram only showed one wire coming from the sender. That's why I am so confused about the different senders the parts store are showing me.
Thanks for the info, Rick

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are using a haynes manual, they will have 1 diagram that shows one model and year and say is covers all of them from x-year to y-year and disregard any changes or variations.

rickrmf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
fixed it

I went back down to the salvage yard and got the temp sender, and connector out of an Explorer like the one the cluster came out of. I switched it out and, since I was in the area, I put a new T-stat in. I don't know which fixed it, but I'm glad it worked and I didn't have to go back in to the cluster or wiring. You are right about the diagrams, although I was using a print out from the Ford dealer manual. The sender I wound up using does have two pins on it, but the connector on the truck just uses one of them, a red wire with a white stripe.
I just wanted to let you know hat happened, and to thank everyone for there input. I'm out looking for a steering column, with radio controls on it now, for my next upgrade project!
Thanks, Rick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals