• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jeep axels under my bronco2

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ok I resently broke the rear axle under my 86 bronco 2. Not wanting to replace it with the weak stock axel i found an older jeep with solid axels and a 9" lift. Can any one tell me if this swap is possable, or if the axels are about the same length. any advise is helpful.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
anythings posable with a torch and a welder, juss depends on how good your fabricating skills are.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. does any body know if they are as wide or wider than the stock bronco 2 axles?
I dont want to get any narower on the wheel base. Because bronco 2's are already too easy to roll.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't think they are. I think our 8.8's bolt right into place on their jeeps. Um what jeep axles are you talking about? Double Dana 44's? Dana 44 and 60? Dana 30 and 35? If it's a Dana 35 Rear forget it. The 7.5 you somehow broke was way stronger.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Forget the Jeep axles.

Find the 8.8" out of any '91-'01 Explorer (if you get a '95-'01, you'll get disc brakes on it). This axle is bigger than anything that came under a Jeep, and shares it's lug pattern with your BII. It's also 1.5" wider overall too (a good thing).

While you're at it, snag the HP D35 front from the same Explorer (if it's a '91-'94). Bolt-in swap for your D28 front, and approaches the strength of a typical fullsize-truck D44 axle. It is also 1.5" wider than your stock D28 axle. :icon_thumby:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Forget the Jeep axles.

Find the 8.8" out of any '91-'01 Explorer (if you get a '95-'01, you'll get disc brakes on it). This axle is bigger than anything that came under a Jeep, and shares it's lug pattern with your BII. It's also 1.5" wider overall too (a good thing).

While you're at it, snag the HP D35 front from the same Explorer (if it's a '91-'94). Bolt-in swap for your D28 front, and approaches the strength of a typical fullsize-truck D44 axle. It is also 1.5" wider than your stock D28 axle. :icon_thumby:

After reading this, I'd agree.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info. the reason i was asking was because I was offered a jeep chassie with rebuilt axles and a 9" lift for free.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
if its free, then take it....or just give it to me

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Well shit...if it's free.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Find out exactly what kind of jeep and what year it is, that will give you a better idea of what axles you would be dealing with. Also, what will you be doing with your BII? That is something else to consider when looking at a serious modification like this. If your only going to be doing street driving, some dirt roads, and easy trails, any jeep axle will be plenty, however if you plan on doing serious rock climbing or hardcore trail riding, i would pay close attention to what axles they are. Even a D30 and D35 will work for that, but it will take some costly upgrades that a simple Expo 8.8 and D35 TTB will far out weigh in sense.

But for free, you could take it than part it out on ebay or other places to fund your build. There is always a possibility for a free truck, even if its just scrap money or a conversation starter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals