• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No start issue

Badhorsey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys. I'm a long time viewer of this site and now a member. This site rocks. However I'm having a problem with my 86 BII. About 2 weeks ago it started sputtering really bad like it had bad gas or trash water etc. in tank. Well after getting a few opinions by various so called technicians I put fresh gas in in and it fired right up no problem. Admittedly I have ran the fuel level low due to financial reasons but never ran it dry. Well yesterday I had a little extra funds so I decided to treat her to a tankful of premium since I'd been giving her a steady diet of crap gas for so long. Well she ran like an absolute champ all day no problems at all. Well I got in her this morning and it turned over but would not fire up. I'm at a loss because this gave no warning whatsoever. Roughly a year ago it did almost exactly the same thing and the tech charged me $150 to plug in a new fuel pump relay but it fixed the problem. I checked the inertia switch but to be honest I dunno if it's tripped or not. I pushed the white button in but not sure how it works. The button feels a little jiggly. Does it click when you push down on it? I'm at a loss. I'm going to get a new relay for the pump and plug it in I dunno what else to do except get it into a shop. Any help would be very appreciated. The faster the better because this is my only vehicle. Thanks again in advance!:headbang:

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
first ste in a crank no start situation is to check and see if you have spark and fuel. do that and get back to us.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check spark. They are notorious for burning up TFI modules.

Also, never ever ever ever put premium gas in your B2. It is meant to run on 87 pump fuel, and that is what it should get, unless it starts to ping, then give it some 89.

Those numbers are a rating of how resistant the fuel is to igniting. The higher the number, the harder it is to light the stuff. 92 is only for super high performance, high compression, and or forced induction engines. All it will do to your truck is foul the plugs. It's not a treat, its more like melting a chocolate bar in the microwave and pouring it down someone's throat, too rich.

Still, my money is on a bad TFI module. Pull the coil wire off your distributor and put a screw driver in the end. Then hold it near (1/2 inch or so away) the hood prop rod and watch watch for spark while a friend cranks the engine.

Also, when you turn the key to run (don't crank it, just turn to run) listen for a whirr that only lasts about 5 seconds. If you hear it your fuel pumps are working.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The tfi burnt out on my 84 B2. Parked it one night. Crank no start in the morning. Not terribly hard to remove but there is a special tool to remove it. Don't know about you, but I got my part and tool at napa. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals