• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First post! A few general maintenance questions...

Redlineracer12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Woo new member here. :icon_cheers:

96 Ranger 2.3 2wd auto with 175k

This is my gf's truck I just do all the maintenance. I've finally got some time on my hands for the next month to tinker with a few things on the truck. For starters I'm replacing the broken original leaf springs, one down one to go, and addressing a CEL it's had for quite some time.

Maintenance I've done so far includes a new T-stat, coolant temp sensor, flushed antifreeze, Fuel filter, front pads/rotors, autolite double plats, and autolite wires.

Current codes I've got include a P1443 and a P0420.

For the P1443 I found some info on regarding the purge valve and solenoid so I'll inspect the hoses and possibly get in there and clean them with some B12 chemtool.

Now for the P0420 Catalyst efficiency below limit, does that concern a clogged cat usually? Or a bad downstream O2? I suppose I could check the cat but I think it'd require cutting it out and welding it back in, the flange bolts are completely gone. I have a MIL eliminator from my other car that I could stick on the O2 and give that a shot. The truck seems a little doggy so I thought it being clogged could be part of the problem, though I really don't know what to expect from the 2.3 auto. When I start it cold sometimes I hear some real loud ticking that sounds like a nasty exhaust leak... Maybe it's all related. :icon_idea:

I was also considering removing the intake manifold and soaking it with cleaner to get it all cleaned out. I've done it with other cars either using seafoam or the B12 chemtool and had pretty good results with cleaning it.

Lastly I have a question regarding the timing belt. I've been putting this off forever because it doesn't look like much fun. Anyone have any pointers for doing that? I have a service cd so I don't think it'll be too bad.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice :) Happy to have a ranger forum.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
You seem to have the problems figured out.

P0420 is often due to a bad cat but an iffy secondary O2 sensor can sometimes throw the same code.

Not much advantage to cleaning out the intake, unless it's REALLY coated with crap. The Seafoam treatment has been known to help the rest of the internals though.

The timing belt is not that difficult but it would have been easier if you had done it at the same time as the thermostat/coolant change, A. because it makes the job a bit easier and B. it's usually recommended to change out the water pump at the same time as the belt.

BTW, welcome aboard. :icon_cheers:

Redlineracer12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You seem to have the problems figured out.

P0420 is often due to a bad cat but an iffy secondary O2 sensor can sometimes throw the same code.

Not much advantage to cleaning out the intake, unless it's REALLY coated with crap. The Seafoam treatment has been known to help the rest of the internals though.

The timing belt is not that difficult but it would have been easier if you had done it at the same time as the thermostat/coolant change, A. because it makes the job a bit easier and B. it's usually recommended to change out the water pump at the same time as the belt.

BTW, welcome aboard. :icon_cheers:
Thanks, I'll search around a bit on where you guys suck the seafoam in, I think I remember seeing something about brake booster...

I figured the timing belt would've been easier when I had the t-stat out but that's alright maybe I'll get back in there when it warms up a bit in the spring.

I installed a cheater for the rear 02 sensor so that SHOULD take care of the 420... If I notice any severe loss of power I'll suspect the catalytic converter first. Now I'll give it a shot cleaning that purge valve/solenoid in the next week or two if I get the code back again.

After having a broken leaf spring for the last 6 months I finally replaced them both over the last week :) Now we're loaded down with sand and minimal squatting. Truck is going to be like new again when I'm done with it :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals