• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i have 3.73 gears will 33" tires hurt my truck?

BoCountyBoy98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 98 mazda b4000. i plan on puttin a 3" body lift and getting 33" * 12.50" tires. i have 3.73 gears now. can i put 33"s on my truck without it hurting anything or would i need to consider a gear change? im not worryed about gas milege im just consered about transmission problems down the road.

Thanks

bsmithbyitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with 33's you would idealy need 4.56 gears......i have 33's and 4.10's now and never get to use fifth gear.......if you have an auto transmission, it will wear it out pretty quick without the gear change and if its a stick you'll burn through clutchs quickly but with it you will be just fine.....when you do the body lift make sure you get all the brackets to level out your bumpers and raidiator shroud.....or you could always take it off.....you will probally have to do a t-bar crank to clear the 33's with just 3 inches but good luck and happy wheelin.

BoCountyBoy98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
thanks that helps me out

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
ive got 33s with 4.10s and the truck goes just fine. i use 5th gear all the time.. 456s would be ideal but hey you work with what you have. the explorer i have has an a4ld with 33s and its running 3.73s its a little doggy but hey the ole man just puts around town with it anyways so that combo works.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
just roll around for 3 months on your 33's with 3.73's then do a gear change when you have the money. then you wont be hurting your truck to bad and you'll have time to save up some money, and when you do the gear change you'll be very appreciative of the extra oomph and regained power that was lost with the 33's. plus when you spread spending money out over to increaments it provides the illusion that you arent spending as much :icon_twisted:

Thats how I would do it if I were going to. Oh wait thats exactly what im gonna do when i get the money (except with 33x10.5's).

BUT if you do alot of highway driving I would highly suggest doing tires and gears (4.10s minimum, ideally 4.56's) relatively close to each other timewise. That would be the most ideal way to do it, but thats gonna be around $2k total depending on what tires your getting and how you go about getting thr gears changed.

94rangersplash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had 33s with 3.73 and 5 speed for about 4 years and could do anything i wanted to do. Use 5th gear and cruise and not have to down shift on hills or anything. Gas milage not that great but oh well. 4.56 are good now but the 3.73 was fine

Russell123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Cultus
Make / Model
Suzuki
Transmission
Manual
I have a first gen ranger with manual windows.
I want to replace the doors but the donor truck has power windows.

I sit possible to convert the donor doors from power windows to manual windows? What would that take to convert?

Thanks

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
lost are we?

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With the auto trans I dont think you would have too difficult a time, just my opinion. The think that will hurt you most is the 33" height combined with the 12.50 width. a narrower 33 would be less rolling resistance at high speed and not hurt you so bad. But you will still be a long time before you see any damage from anytire size unless you go over 35"

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i ran 33s on 3.73s just fine still got 450kms to a tank and had plenty of power

corrond56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have 33s with 373 and an auto and it is constantly down shifting. I have the 3.0 though and I have a shop installing my 456 in my new 8.8 right now

Nick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
can u fit 4.56 gears in an 8.8? ive got a 3.73 in my 7.5 ranger now getting ready to go 33s. 90 xlt2wd 3in body lift 2 in susp lift. any pics of these?

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, you can put 4.56 in 8.8 just have to notch a tooth on the ring gear a little to get the cross pin in or buy a notched cross pin. I notched the gear a little and would recommend doing that over the notched cross pin if you do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals