• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 B3000 error code help!

anton1117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi!

I have a 2001 B3000 that is giving two error codes: 303 - cylinder 3 misfire, and 401 - egr insufficient flow. I have replaced all of the spark plugs and wires. It's still running rough, and is sluggish. Are these 2 problems related? Which cylinder is cylinder 3? Could it be the DPFE sensor causing these 2 problems? Coil pack problem? Is it the misfire on cylinder 3 that is causing the 401? Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!!

anton1117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi.
So, I have replaced the EGR valve, and the DPFE sensor, and it still runs rough! Coil pack? I'm giving up hope of figuring this out myself; I may have to just go to the dealership! Any thoughts?!

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Common Problems that Trigger the P0401 code:

Restriction in the EGR passages, usually caused by carbon buildup
Lack of a proper vacuum signal to the EGR valve
Lack of proper EGR system feedback to the computer from the Differential EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor (DPFE)
The EGR Valve is defective

P0303, like you said was misfire on cyl 3

Looks like you replaced everything that one would think to replace. Are you still getting a code?

Double check that all your plugs are gapped properly. If that does not work, (not sure how the ranger is set up) but can you swap one of the coil packs with one of the others and see if the problem follows it? If it does, replace the coil pack.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi.
So, I have replaced the EGR valve, and the DPFE sensor, and it still runs rough! Coil pack? I'm giving up hope of figuring this out myself; I may have to just go to the dealership! Any thoughts?!
it would still run rough if the misfire was still there. Did the 0401 code come back. for the misfire on cyl 3( ithink it is passenger side closest to cab) I would check the plug and wire( you can swap wires and see if it the misfire comes back on a different cyl) I would run a good injector cleaner thru the fuel tank. many things can casue misfires the miost common are plugs wires fuel. change your fuel filter if it is old

anton1117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had the codes cleared, but it's still running the same (rough) after I replaced: plugs (I did gap each plug according to manufacturers spec.), wires, egr valve and DPFE sensor. And I have tried running fuel injector cleaner a couple of times. Thanks for everyone's feedback!!! I may take it to the dealership and have them diagnose the problem, at least. Once I know what the problem is, I feel pretty confident that I can fix it!

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for everyone's feedback!!! I may take it to the dealership and have them diagnose the problem, at least. Once I know what the problem is, I feel pretty confident that I can fix it!
Copy that

anton1117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello All,

Just wanted to let you know, that this problem did indeed turn out to be the coil pack! It was replaced, and now the truck (again) runs like a charm! Thank you for all of your input! :)

CGordon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
anton1117,

So it was the coil pack that the spark plug wires plug into at the top of the engine that was the problem? Attached to the intake manifold?

Just wanted to be certain where the "coil pack" is.

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals