• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pressure problem????

Spudz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger 3.0. My question is, usually when I start up the truck cold, the oil pressure guage can take a few minutes to get to normal operating range, what does this mean?, it can flicker. Once it reaches normal range, it stays there just fine. Thanks guys....

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would change to a aftermarket manual guage. I've had problems with factory gauges too. On one of my trucks the oil pressure guage moves back and forth with the turn signals!!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive also noticed oil pressure gauges of that vintage (both ranger and taurus versions) are somewhat slow. when changing the oil in one, the clacking bottom end sometimes goes away long before the pressure gauge responds.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I thought the gauge functioned like the itiot lite, and that the sending unit was just a pressure switch, that closed at like, 5 psi

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it is...but they seem to be a lot more flakey than the older gen trucks.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so realy, the fact that the lube system is building pressure has no effect on the gauge position, or its movment. If the lube pressure is above say, lets guess 5 psi, then the gauge would read "good". So, if a gauge is jumping or doing any other type of weirdness then would it not be an electrical related problem located in the wireing of such gauge, or ever a bad conection at the pressure switch?

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger 5.0- I'm with you. I was recently forced to haul a trailer 250+ miles whilst my oil gauge was doing this nonsense. Mine would flit down to zero and back up to normal with the brakes on, but the truck wouldn't clatter, stutter or stall, and no warning lights came on. The drive went down without a problem, but I know it'll start doing this again sometime.
My guess is this one's in the electrical: the sender, wiring or gauge is bad. I've just not gotten around to buying/installing a mechanical one yet.
~Does anyone out there have pics of a good clean mech. oil pressure guage install? Help me to decide where to put the darn thing and how to wire it up!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals