• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does the 2003 Tow pkg include?

krikf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm about make a deal with a private owner on a 2003 B4000 that has the "Towing Package". I'm specifically getting this one to pull a small 2100 lb pop-up camper which it should do fine. The truck is 60 miles away so I haven't seen it in person yet. Can anyone tell me what the "Towing Package" includes or is different from the standard B4000?

Thanks for your help.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Not sure but I think it is just a factory receiver hitch. It may also include a trailer light connector but if not it should have a connector in the wiring for an adapter anyway. I can't think of anything else that would be included.

I tow a 3500 lb loaded trailer all over the country with about 800 lbs on the bed of my 4.0 Ranger and it does very well. It didn't have the tow package but I set it up for towing.

Last edited:

krikf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your reply. I know it has a factory installed hitch (apparently a class-V) and probably a trailer light connector like you said. I'm wondering if it might include different brakes, shocks, or springs. According to the code it has a 3.55 rear with the 5E automatic trans. (You probably have 4.10 grears.) The truck has 67K miles and is a one owner who takes really, really good care of it. (You could eat off the engine.)

How many miles do you have on yours? Have you had any of the timing chain isssues that some 2001 and 2002 owners have had?

Fred

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
it wont be a class V hitch, it will must likely be a class III, unless it is aftermarket, but i dont think they make V-class hitches for a ranger

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Fred, I am pretty sure there is no difference in brakes, shocks or springs with the tow package. They might use lower gears but if it has 3.55 gears then gears are most likely not a part of the tow package. Yes, I do have 4.10 gears but it is also a manual transmission with 31" tires. I never tow in 5th(OD) but I understand some people do.

I have almost 110K miles on it and it runs like new. I have not had any indication at all of timing chain problems. I hope the timing chain does not become an issue. I plan to run this truck for 300K miles.

I agree with 07rangerfx4lv2 in that the receiver is probably class III.

krikf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, Class III sound right (or possibly Class IV) but the owner went out and read right off of the receiver "Type V". Maybe there is a difference between "Type V" and "Class V".

Thanks for your input.

Fred

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The only add-on is the hitch itself. Automatic trucks already have a separate tranny cooler and a 4 pin trailer light plug comes on all of them. Springs, shocks, etc. are no different.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ACTUALLY.....

Most if not all factory tow-hitch optioned trucks got higher grade rear leafsprings. They got C leaves while others without the factory installed hitch got K leaves. Now...i recall there being TWO trailer packages. Could be possible the lessor of the two was just the hitch while the top ofthe line one included the "HD" leaves. I also believe I've seen both Class III and IV factory installed. Could go right along next to the leafpacks too. IDK. It's been quite a while since I've seen my 01+ brochures, so i'm a lil rusty. lol. And for the record, I'm referring to Torsion bar equipped trucks...don't know springs and junk for coilspring trucks...yet. lol

And yeah...ALL trucks got the 4-pin connector in the back. At least 01+ it's standard on every model, just like 4whl abs

I find it hard to believe a factory truck having only 3.55's and a 'tow package' opton though...

krikf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
According to the owner, the tag on the door says "Axle = R5" and "Trans=D". That looks like 355 grears and the 5R55E 5 spd auto according to the charts on this site. Let me know if that's not right.

Thanks.
Fred

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
There were HD rear springs available as part of the Payload Package 2 or BFT Option Package (at least on a Ranger, I assume a similar deal was available on a Mazda). The BFT Package included HD rear springs, trailer hitch, and L/S axle, but you could get all of those separately too. My old 02 Ranger was a 4x4 Off-Road and had the hitch and L/S axle listed as separate options but no HD springs.

I find it hard to believe a factory truck having only 3.55's and a 'tow package' option though...
On a 2wd 4.0 I'm pretty sure 3.55 was the highest axle available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals