• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 B4000 Gauge swap

rickrmf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,
I would like to change my instrument panel, (gauges), to light up green to match a Ford dual media radio I recently got. Will a gauge cluster from a 98 Explorer work in my 96 B4000? They look very similar, with a few changes in where the Check engine light is and the Explorer has some lights I don't have. Will this be a big deal in regards to the plug in wiring connectors?
Thanks, Rick

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Electrically, there are some wires which will have to be moved between plugs on the back of the cluster. The trick is to find them and trace the inputs between the plugs. My change was moving a 97 BII cluster with tach into a 96 ranger . I believe the wire move I had to do was a pink one that was associated to the CEL. I couldn't tell you which one you will have to move ... if any, but think it through and you will get it.

rickrmf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
1996 B4000 gauge swap

Thanks,
You say you put a Mazda B4000 cluster in a 96 Ranger? I want to go the other way, to get green dash lights. Did every work when you got done? Did you just trace the wiring on the cluster film, or did you have a schematic? I suppose the cluster bolted right in?

rickrmf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Explorer in to B4000 Gauge Swap update

Well, I installed the Explorer instrument cluster into my B4000 last night. I got lucky and a guy at the local Ford dealer gave me a pin out diagram of both vehicles. It was then EASY to run down the list of the three plugs, and just change the ones in question. I didn't even have to splice any wire on, as the loom in the Mazda was plenty long. The only thing I have to do now is switch the engine temp sender for one out of an Explorer. It's a two pin style, as opposed to the single pin in the B4000. Now, all the dash lights match the Ford dual media RDS radio I installed. I also have installed a center console from a 98 Explorer, along with a Ford factory 6 disk changer mounted in the console. I also installed a auto dimming mirror, with compass and temperature from from a Silverado truck, and a pair of Explorer sunvisors, with the neat little lighted vanity mirrors, and Homelink garage door operater. I must say so myself, that it looks pretty neat, with the leather power Explorer buckets. If I can figure out how to do it, and get some time I might try to post some pics of my modifications. The next thing on my list, if I keep the truck, is to try putting a steering column, with radio controls on it. Anybody done this? I think that one from a 1998 Ranger.
Thanks, Rick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals