• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clunking sounds

Blu3Rang3r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,my name is Gary Miller and I have a year 2000 ford ranger 4x4,it has 44k miles on it and I bought it used in 2004 and im the second owner of it.I love the truck and all but I have a problem with the transfer case(thats where the sounds are coming from).

Since owning it I have been in 4wd high a handfull of times for snow/ice conditions and only recently I decided to try 4wd low as last time it made wierd clunking sounds going in to 4wd low.Well the same sound still happens only when switching into 4wd low,when switching into 4wd high it is very quiet(hardly noticeable untill you see all 4 tires pulling).Both the high and low side of 4wd work effortlessly.But like I said,it makes a weird loud clunking sound when going in to 4wd low and coming out of it.

To people that may ask I am not moving if I put it in 4wd low never have either,but for high I usually stop just to be on the safe side but sometimes ill be moving 5-10mph max.

So does anyone have any ideas on whats wrong with my transfer case?Thank you for all help and information.And I did a search first before posting this but I couldnt find a person quite with my problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals