• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cummins 4bt swap into a 95 4.0 4x4?

medicbearusaf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How much more exp and diff. is it than a 302 swap....

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Different...well no one makes a bolt in kit, your gonna need a fullsize tranny to take the torque, and you have to do a completely custom install. Expensive depends on how complete of an engine you buy, or whole truck for that motor. The cummins will last a lot longer than the gasser, so most times you can just use the motor you find, and don't have to bother rebuilding it like you would with a gasser. My 347 was gonna cost me just shy of 5k in parts alone, and I bought a good running 4bta for $2500, and it came with a few extra's as well, like a full set of cummins service manuals ($$$) and an engine driven compressor, something you don't see too often.

-andrew

ToyTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If I was going to do a swap like that, I'd start by acquiring an old Frito-Lay delivery van. They originally came with GM 6.2's. When they didn't last, the manufacturer, Grumman Olson, undertook a repowering program and replaced them with Cummins 4BTs. This means that that bread van will have just about everything you need including the adapter ring to go from the Cummins SAE type bellhousing pattern to the GM style pattern. You'll even get a (usually pretty solid) GM TH400 auto out of the deal.

At a guess, I'd think you'd have to fabricate a new front crossmember and a new tranny crossmember, new transfer case to take all that torque, DEFINITELY a new front axle, lots of suspension work just to make it take the weight.

The upshot is that a lot of the aftermarket go-fast goodies for the 6BT in the Dodge Ram will work on the 4BT.

Strangely enough, there's another way to go about this. It isn't as sexy as a Cummins engine, but it should do the job. Matter of fact, a friend and I are looking at doing a diesel conversion on his 1966 Unimog. We originally thought about a 4BT, but it turns out to be a bit too tall to fit. We settled on a 2L turbo-diesel from a 2nd generation VW Jetta.

Good luck!

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic

cbriz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am looking into doing a cummins 4bt swap to my 1985 ford ranger 5spd 4x4 and I need some help with what all I am going to need to make this swap work so if any one could help me that would be sweet
thanks
Casey

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

cbriz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
thanks I will check it out

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Looking 4ward to the build, pm me if you need sources for (hardcore) performance products....

I used to be kinda into that, if you can be "kinda" into bada$$ diesels.

Frank

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking 4ward to the build, pm me if you need sources for (hardcore) performance products....

I used to be kinda into that, if you can be "kinda" into bada$$ diesels.

Frank
lol im still waitin for someone to do a 6bt gen 1 ranger build. i noticed you have an 88 2.9 i bet its beggin for more power. maybe a 6bt would help that out... :icon_welder::D

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Different...well no one makes a bolt in kit, your gonna need a fullsize tranny to take the torque, and you have to do a completely custom install. Expensive depends on how complete of an engine you buy, or whole truck for that motor. The cummins will last a lot longer than the gasser, so most times you can just use the motor you find, and don't have to bother rebuilding it like you would with a gasser. My 347 was gonna cost me just shy of 5k in parts alone, and I bought a good running 4bta for $2500, and it came with a few extra's as well, like a full set of cummins service manuals ($$$) and an engine driven compressor, something you don't see too often.

-andrew
its defintely gonna be more expensive. a 4bt alone is like 2 grand plus tranny,tcase,extreme mod's. although it would probably be worth it if you were smart about your build

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
302 would be funner and cheaper.

Thing is, as cool as something seems--what it boils down to is that YOU have to live with it everyday, not some vague people on a board or the people at work you show it to once in a parking lot.

Fact is, if you don't need it, it's a pain in the ass and not worth it. 302 or BT3.9.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Funner? no way.....

and what he "needs" is what he wants, not just to follow the suggestion of a vague person on a board.

as far as price..... you could get 500k miles out of that 4bt if you do it right "so which is really cheaper"?

Frank

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Funner? no way.....

and what he "needs" is what he wants, not just to follow the suggestion of a vague person on a board.

as far as price..... you could get 500k miles out of that 4bt if you do it right "so which is really cheaper"?

Frank
driving habits dude, driving habits. although the cummins would last longer. still, i think the real reason id do a 4bt is for originality. theres hundreds of 302 rangers, not that many 4bt ones. plus ya dude (OP) do what you want but it all boils down too the reason you asked about the ease and cost. unsurety. do your homework, do whatcha want and be happy. youll never please everyone.
haha i just noticed will used the term "it all boils down" in his post. great now its dumb if i do. lol stupid!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
12-19-2007 03:04 AM

12-27-2007, 05:26 PM

:icon_surprised:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals