• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fog light mod

pimp-daddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed there was a tech link to mod the foglight switch to run them with just the parking lamps. I also noticed it was for an older style ranger. I have a 2000 ranger and would like to do the same mod, but I don't know enough about electrical to know where to start. Can anyone help?

All i'm wanting to know is how to make my fogs run with just my parking lights on.

if it's easier to do it so they can be turned on whenever, inform me how. i'm looking for the easiest way, i'm not picky. i just would like to turn them on during the day and around dusk without having my headlights on too.

Thanks!

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
This makes the fogs stay on with the brights.

First, I located the relay box. It’s mounted to the same plate that holds the bottom of the airbox. I got into it, and here’s what I found:

1. There are sockets for a total of six relays, two large (the size of a conventional Bosch relay) and four smaller relays, in a 1 2 1 2 configuration. The six sockets were arranged like this, with socket 1 being toward the front of the vehicle:

2 3
5 6

Socket 1 was empty from the factory.

2. The small type relays in sockets 2 and 3 control the foglamps. Why two relays? One to turn on the foglamps when the parking lamps go on, the second to turn off the foglamps when the high beams come on.

3. By checking the wiring on the back of the relay sockets, I came to the conclusion that relay 2 as shown above turned off the foglamps. Why? It was wired so that power flowed when the relay was _NOT_ energized.

4. The small relays, Ford part number F57B-14B192-AA, SPST relays. There are 5 pins on the relay, laid out as follows:

| | |
| | |
2 4 1

Pins 3 and 5 are .25" wide; pins 1, 2, and 4 are smaller, about .187".

The corresponding sockets are not numbered at all that I can detect.

5. Relay 2 is wired so that power flows from pin 3 to pin 4 when the relay is not energized. Only when the relay is energized is the power cut off. Power goes from pin 4 of relay 2 to the control circuit side, pin 1, of relay 3. In other words, run a jumper from the furthest away wide socket to the center narrow socket of relay 2, and the foglamps don't go off when the high beams come on.

6. To make the foglamps stay on when the high beams come on, I removed relay 2 and ran a jumper wire from pin 3 to pin 4. Just as simple as that.

7. I made a jumper from 16 ga. wire with a male spade connector on each end. For the wide connector I used 3M from Wal-Mart. For the narrow connector I used Radio Shack #64-3134. I didn't measure, but the assembled length of the whole thing was about 2" to 2.25". Jumpered pin 3 to pin 4 and it works like a charm.

pimp-daddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i never use my high beams anyway. if i do use them i usually just pull back on the switch so that my low/high/fogs are all on at the same time. my low beams with the fog does a better job most of the time then just the high beam. I'm hoping someone on here will know how to wire it so i can run with just the Parking lamps and fog lamps on. The current setup i have now (stock wiring) will only allow the fogs lamps to be on with the low beams on.

MuddyTeeth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am sorry for bumping up this post but why dont you just run your fogs off of a switch so you can have them when you want them? This is probably the easiest way to do it without having to worry about splicing into the wrong wires.

Alex

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
is there a downside to the "bend a prong" way of doing this??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals