• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

slopppppppy shifter

acousticrawk

Reaction score
i have a Mazda M5OD-R1 in my 93 3.4 2wd ranger, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to take the slop out of the shift. BTW, the tranny has over 200,000 miles on it and the gears are noisey! haha, just needs a fluid change i think, nothing grinds or is hard to shift at all, just whiney, anyone reccomend a good fluid for high mileage trannies like this one? and anything to help with the slop would be great!

PS: does anyoen make a short shift? or can i just hacksaw the one i have? haha. onot looking for a "short shifter", just somehting a little shorter. 6 inches less maybe.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No fluid on God's green earth is going to put the steel back onto your pitted gears and/or bearings.

You can replace the bushings within the stick, but when your transmission whines, that's the early warning that you broke it by not looking at the fluid more often.

If you don't look at that whine for what it is, your next sign is going to be a disabled vehicle.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hurst is the only company that sells a short shifter and damn does it make the shifts REALLY nice and tight and clean. If you want though you can just get new shifter bushings for inside the top cover of the tranny and they can be replaced right through the top although if yours have fallen apart and into the tranny then the tranny may be starving for fluid as the pieces may be blocking the pickups for the oil pump.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is no oil pump nor oil pump pickup. There are various passages through the gears and the case. The gears pump the oil.

And the whining noise is caused by steel that isn't smooth. The damage is done.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
yeah, i assumed that the tranny will just always be noisey, i was just hoping. i just got the truck...93 ranger (CHEAP) and it runs fine and looks good, just sloppy shifter. i pulled a bunch of pieces out of the top of the shifter that i believe are the old bushing. is there anywhere i in particular i should go for that bushing? like does advanced carry it?

can i get a link to where i can pick up a hurst shifter?

thanks guys.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You can get the bushings at the dealer, they aren't very expensive. I'd definitely replace them before even considering the money for a Hurst shifter.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you can get the hurst from summit and probably jegs and things like that, it is about 200 bucks. For the bushings you can go to ford and get two of part number 1L2Z*7228*AA. The upper and lower bushing are identical which is why you get two of that part number. To install the lower bushing after pulling the stub shaft out of the top of the tranny you drive out one of the pins with a hammer and punch then pull the bushing and install the new one then hammer the pin back into place and reassemble everything. Make sure you put the stub shaft back in the correct way, with the correct side facing foward.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
how do i install the upper? right now i have NO bushings. does it just sit below the pin towards the end of the stub shaft?

after i replace the bushings, can i just hack the shifter shaft down 6 inches (or less, just to somewhere a little more comfortable for me)? i mean, i can, but would anyone reccomend against it? i know some people say they just grind gears and crap when the hack them down... im a pretty cautious shifter though, never grind gears or beat my tranny, especially sense i just have the 2.3...no sense in dogging it all the time.

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, well it goes like this with the stub shaft lifted out, it goes flat washer, wavy washer, lower bushing (with the cut outs for the pins it's obvious which way the bushing sits) then the stub shaft drops in (facing the right way), then the other bushing, wavy washer, and flat washer, then the boot/top plate bolts back on.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
ive had a hurst for about a year now, it shifts great but makes alot of noise in all forward gears but 5th, the stock setup does a good job of cancelling noise.
________
Falcon GT interceptor

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Last edited:

madmax401

Reaction score
I had a m50 4x4 trans that was doing the same thing. first it started whinning - then started to pop out of first- and then lost second.
just my 2 cents .......forget the shifter for now and get that trans looked at .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals