• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4L80E trans replace. Help? Turbo Swap?

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1992 K2500 with the 6.5 Diesel Turbo. Last week my tranny went out. I found a tranny/tcase combo with less than 50K for 600 bucks. I have replaced 6 Manual transmissions but never an auto nor do I know much about them. I geuss my main concern with this task would be the torque converter removal/install and the wiring. Has anyone replaced one of these with tips they'd like to share? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, the motor is pushing 180K. I have access to a 1999 Dodge 24V Cummins turbo I am thinking of installing for a little more boost. Stock she only pushes around 9lbs and the Cummins should push between 12 and 14lbs (right?). Would this be too muich for my ol' diesel? She does have a high compression ratio and don't want to hurt her but theres not much out there for my year. No chips offered until 94' :( Thanks for all the help I hope to recieve ;)

AJ

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I would skip the dodge turbo. it has been played with and has been found dangerous for a 6.5..... that cummins turbo will boost alot higher than 14 psi.

I would change the injectors and do head gaskets before you rack up to many more miles, you are right at the limit for the injectors and the head gaskets (most fail around 200K for the gaskets, and injectors should be changed around every 100K)

I would go to www.thetruckstop.us and check out the 6.5 performance section. There are quite a few things you can do (most of them cheap) to a 92 and a 93.

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Head gaskets scare me :( But I shoul do them before they go. Thanks for the tips. I will be checking that website out asap. May just pull the motor with the tranny and do it all at once. How many miles on your 6.5?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
200198, just looked at 1 hour ago. I cheaped out on the injectors so now i need an engine (blew a piston), but mine was screwed ..... cracked heads, crack in the #8 cylinder wall, crack in the main saddle from the register to the cam journal...... the replacement 6.2L was also cracked on the same main in the same manner....... My engine had been over heated ...... probaly would have been fine if I hadn't blown the injector and piston.

I am still searching for a block.

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You're starting to scare me. I think I've got a good one though. She runs amazingy well and has been very well maintained. Looks almost new under the hood. Run nothing but Delo 400. Fires every morning with no issues. Little bit of smoke now but She also needs some new plugs....

Where you located? May know of a good running 6.5 TD. 116K miles, buddy totalled it about 6 mos. ago.

AJ

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
in my case it was cheap injectors and having been over heated in the past..... cracking is common....... if yours is the original engine then its a 599 block...... thats the strongest GM casting you can get ...... if you do the gaskets and injectors and glow plugs that engine will last a while

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals