• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pulling this motor

T-bal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello I just have a quick question.
I am ready to pull out my 3.0 v6 out of my 98 ranger and put in the motor I purchased this weekend, but can I pull it out with the torque converter still attached to the flywheel then unbolt it when its out and then bolt to the new flywheel and replace back in with the new motor.
Or do I have to unbolt it from th flywheel and leave it with the tranny as the motor comes out. Reason is my old motor is seized up and I cant get it to even turn if I wanted to remove the bolts from the converter.
Thanks for your all help.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you can't turn the engine then it sounds like you have no choice in the matter.

I would just be sure to put the converter into the transmission first when installing the new motor, and then bolt it up to the flywheel afterwards to ensure it's set into the fluid pump.

Allen

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you can pull the engine out with the converter still attached...though it hinders the process a bit.

going the reverse is a big no-no. you're begging for a ruined trans. pump. install the converter first and get everything lined up as the engine goes in.

T-bal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thats what I was wondering, Thanks again you guys for the advice. This board has been loads of help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals